carbing a keg - attach liquid out line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
ok so i kegged my first beer today. I feel quite accomplished knowing i have my own beer in my kegerator. i have it hooked up at 25 psi and plan on leaving it for 36 hours, then moving to 11psi for about a week. i currently do not have the liquid lines attached to the keg. Does it matter if they are attached or not? I probably should have just hooked them up after i ran sanitizer through the lines.

No need. When my keezer is full I regularly will just have reserve kegs on gas to carb.

Me too! Just make sure that the "out" post isn't leaking. I had a slow leak that I didn't notice and not only did I have flat beer, I had an empty co2 tank! You can spray some star-san on the post, or some soapy water, just to make sure it's not leaking if you're unsure. I only have one keg that does that, but I never remember which one so I always have to check if I don't have the "out" line on!

It's much easier to resist the temptation to drink some beers before theyre ready with the out line disconnected

sounds good. Before you hook up an out line do you normally run starsan solution through it?

I do, only because I put star san in keg and pressurize it, so I can easily fill the picnic tap.

If I'm swapping kegs though, I just drain the tubing and refill with the new beer.

I'm lazy and don't often clean my lines with BLC...

I also just kegged my very first brew (well first kegged brew) a few minutes ago. I didn't set it at 25, I turned it up to 15 and shook the keg as it filled and then let it go back down to 10, I left the gas on. When will this be drinkable?

Also I notice when I disconnected my "in" line for a moment the disconnect was leaking a bit, I assume as long as it is on the keg, this is not an issue.

When I look at all the parts used in the system, the gray disconnects concern me the most. These little buggers look like they will fail eventually and be hard to detect. As I do plan to have up to 4 kegs connected, I have a 4 line manifold, what should I do when one or more lines are not being used? Should I install an inline shut off valve on each line? or remove the line and plug the manifold?
I am hoping to have my second keg filled tomorrow, so I will be using the manifold, it currently has two plugs installed.

Back