houston Pubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep been to those just wondering if there were anymore i like the 200 plus different kinds of beer they have and if you drink all 200 you get your picture on the wall

Most of the Little Woodrow's are good, too, but they won't have anything you can't find at the G-Man or Saucer. The Stag's Head is a good place for beer and food, and McGonigal's Mucky Duck also is fun. The Front Porch is a good spot to hang out on a nice day, as is the Richmond Arms and Onion Creek. I often like the Black Lab. The Volcano often is good, but more as a bar than a beer pub, but they have plenty of good stuff on tap and in bottles.

Two Rows is a pretty good brewpub that is getting better, now that they have a new brewmaster on premises. The BJ's locations are also fairly good, but I don't get too excited about them.

TL

TexLaw said:
Most of the Little Woodrow's are good, too, but they won't have anything you can't find at the G-Man or Saucer. The Stag's Head is a good place for beer and food, and McGonigal's Mucky Duck also is fun. The Front Porch is a good spot to hang out on a nice day, as is the Richmond Arms and Onion Creek. I often like the Black Lab. The Volcano often is good, but more as a bar than a beer pub, but they have plenty of good stuff on tap and in bottles.

Two Rows is a pretty good brewpub that is getting better, now that they have a new brewmaster on premises. The BJ's locations are also fairly good, but I don't get too excited about them.

TL

nice thanks for the virtual bar tour of houston i'll definitely try and check some out if not all. thanks for the post:mug:

You're quite welcome! I was at Two Rows yesterday, and their hefeweizen is wonderful. I also heard that they are about to put their cask-conditioned IPA on the beer engine.

I also forgot about Hans' Bierhaus. It's a good spot in the north Rice Villiage area. It has a good selection and a nice biergarten with a bocce court. I love it on a nice day.

TL

Two rows, G-man, Lil Woodrows are great places within walking distance of each other. I love them all, Gingerman a little more but all great places.

I thought I would bring this thread back to life. Any body know if any of the above mentioned places are in the Galleria area? If not, is there anywhere near the Galleria or on out towards Beltway 8 with a decent beer selection? I used to work downtown and go to the Saucer, but now I'm looking for somewhere to get good beer with my boss and he lives west of the Galleria. Thanks.

Just stumbled on this. When I lived in Houston about ten years ago, my favorite place on the west side was Richmond Arms. If it is still around, it is worth checking out. I still remember being there the night the Houston Rockets won their second World Championship.

Does anyone know if St. Arnold's has a tap room? I am heading to Houston for easter and want to hit some good spots. My brother always says good things about St. Arnolds, so I want to give it a try.

Also, any good recommendations for beer bars around the Heights area?

Does anyone know if St. Arnold's has a tap room? I am heading to Houston for easter and want to hit some good spots. My brother always says good things about St. Arnolds, so I want to give it a try.

Also, any good recommendations for beer bars around the Heights area?

St. Arnold's does tours with tastings. Here's the web site:

http://www.saintarnold.com/tours/

There are several places I've been meaning to check out. One is the Petrol Station:

http://www.facebook.com/PetrolStation

Not sure if they have another website, but their selection of beers looks really good. They are not too far from the heights.

I need to try the Anvil Bar & Refuge as well. They have a good tap list as well. This one is on Westheimer and I'm pretty sure has been many different bars in the past, just a recycled location. Check out the chalkboard on their website for what is on tap now:

http://www.anvilhouston.com/

There are a bunch of bars on the Washington Ave. corridor, which is in the Heights. I haven't been over there in a while, but you can find some of them by looking at:

http://www.liveitbig.org/Live_It_BIG_Festival.html

Hope that helps.

Ron

My favorites have already been mentioned:

Onion Creek, Anvil, Petrol Station, Gingerman, Black Lab. There are so many, though, these are the ones I hit most often.

I also find myself at McElroy's, which has a nice "beer garden" out back and Stag across the street which has a decent selection on tap.

Not really a beer pub, I think, but I am checking out BRC Gastropub for lunch today. I hear they have a great selection of draft and bottle beer. I'll report back later.

Ron

Several years ago, I went on a pub crawl after the Dixie Cup. I believe the guy that owns Defalcos (http://www.defalcos.com/), Scott Birdwell, lined it up. We went to a couple of pretty eclectic places. Check with them, I'm sure they can hook you up. Luck - Dwain

Not really a beer pub, I think, but I am checking out BRC Gastropub for lunch today. I hear they have a great selection of draft and bottle beer. I'll report back later.

I live 2 blocks from the Glass Wall, which is an awesome Heights restaurant. As I understand it, the same guys own BRC. I can't wait to check it out. Let us know what you thought.

Well, I went ahead and went to BRC tonight for dinner. Draft beer list is admirable - it's large. I had a Rogue Dead Man Ale and a Brooklyn Lager. Both good. My wife had 2 Magic Hat #9 Ales.

Hey, food was really good too. I had fish & chips (pale ale batter and pale ale malt vinegar) - a fancier version of the traditional pub grub. It's a pretty high end establishment, so I had no business being in there. I'll be back.

I went by for lunch but they weren't open, still working in there. They were supposed to open for lunch today, but it appears they are a little behind schedule. I'm going to be in that area again on Thursday so I'll check and see if they are open for lunch.

Ron

In case anyone still cares

Petrol Station is the place to get a beer in Houston. Nothing real "commercial" on tap. It seems as though half the patrons are homebrewers. A lot of people come in w/ growlers for fill-ups.

Sent from Spreadhead's iPhone.

Petrol Station has the best beer selection in Texas. The best hamburgers you will ever experience. Great atmosphere and cool bar keeps. I am biased... if we don't go tonight it will be the first time in 1.5 months not going straight.

Yes jvcjbl. All of their food is excellent, from soups to burgers. Like high-end restaurant good but at a pub price. I'm there most Fri nites, almost feeling like I'm missing something by drinking at Gman tonite.

Yes jvcjbl. All of their food is excellent, from soups to burgers. Like high-end restaurant good but at a pub price. I'm there most Fri nites, almost feeling like I'm missing something by drinking at Gman tonite.

I'm drinking at my house tonight. Alas SWMBO is between jobs so I am sole support which I am financially capable of but it cuts into my alcoholic... I mean hard core... I mean beer drinking fund :D. I was allowed to buy a 6-er of Old Speckled Hen and 4 bombers plus a 1.75L of vodka and bloody mary mix for the weekend. Good trade off if you ask me.

Back