President's Day brew - Hop Bursted Rye Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
15 gallons
1.058 OG
61 IBU
9.3 SRM

20 lbs Maris Otter
5 lbs Rye Malt
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L
4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 90L
2.0 oz Roasted Barley

Single infusion mash - 154°F for 60 minutes

0.33 oz Columbus (60 min)
4.00 oz Columbus (20 min)
4.00 oz Centennial (10 min)
4.00 oz Amarillo (0 min)

US-05 yeast

Success! I couldn't help myself - I pulled a small sample tonight, and it tastes AWESOME - tons of crazy, spicy citrus.

Sounds interesting.....I wish I could have brewed on Pres Day....I had to work damn the "Honda"

That sound fantastic! Make sure you keep us posted on the results!

I really like the combo of the spicy rye and the citrusy hops. I might have to brew something similar very soon.

I love Hop Rod, and I've had this one on my mind for a while. It's not quite as big a beer as Hop Rod, but the grain bill is similar. I figured it was a perfect candidate for hop bursting.

Sounds like a fantastic recipe.

Have you tried Hop Head Red from Green Flash. I just got a sixer last week and it has been love at first sight. I am not sure if there is any rye, but it is a hoppy amber with amarillo dry hops. It really is a fantastic beer.

Eric

Hypothetically speaking, if you were going to brew a 5 gallon batch of these. What would the grain bill and hop amounts be? It sounds like an amazing beer.

Simply divide by three. My grain bill is based on 80% overall efficiency.

For small brew lengths, recipes can be scaled linearly. It gets more complicated when you're trying to scale multi-barrel batches down to homebrew sized recipes (or vice versa).

15 gallons
1.058 OG
61 IBU
9.3 SRM

20 lbs Maris Otter
5 lbs Rye Malt
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L
4.0 oz Caramel Malt - 90L
2.0 oz Roasted Barley

Single infusion mash - 154°F for 60 minutes

0.33 oz Columbus (60 min)
4.00 oz Columbus (20 min)
4.00 oz Centennial (10 min)
4.00 oz Amarillo (0 min)

US-05 yeast

Success! I couldn't help myself - I pulled a small sample tonight, and it tastes AWESOME - tons of crazy, spicy citrus.

Crazy cool mix. I bet it is awesome. I surprised the color is where it is, I would think it would be higher. I guess 15 gallons will do that.

I love mixing Rye with great grains and hops, it often makes a surprising beer.

Have you ever thought of using a Bavarian Wheat yeast (I use 3056, a little tamer) for something like this? It is a kick butt compliment to the Rye and the hops.

I serve this beer to anyone who says, "I like IPA." They rave about it. The finish is just a little too bitter for my taste, but that's almost certainly a function of the chloride:sulfate ratio of my local water supply. This beer will likely become a staple house brew for my kegerator. As expected, it's just a little hazy (rye), but I think it's a nice looking pint.

ryeipa.jpg

I'm down to 4 gallons (from 15). Every time I have company, the rye IPA kegs take a beating! This recipe is definitely a Kämpferstrahl haus brau.

Have you ever thought of using a Bavarian Wheat yeast (I use 3056, a little tamer) for something like this? It is a kick butt compliment to the Rye and the hops.
Nope. Big esters + big hops + tangy grain = too much, IMHO. Combine some interesting characteristics, but not all of them in one brew. A rye-weizen could be interesting, as could a wheat PA. But a hefe-rye-weizen-PA sounds a bit too crazy for my taste.

Out of pure curiosity, why the 0.33 oz of columbus at 60 min? That doesn't seem like it would add much bitter over a 15g batch.

And why the 4 lbs of 2-row? Why not all MO?

It looks good, I intend on brewing it but I am still curious.

I would've used all MO, but I only had 20 lbs left.

The hops were added using the hop burst technique. Almost all of the bitterness comes from the big late additions. I read that most brewers recommend adding a small amount of hops at the beginning of the boil when hop bursting. I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning.

Does this taste anything like Hop Rod Rye? I ask that because the bottle i had of the Hop Rod Rye was horrible. It had this strange sweetness in the aftertaste that i didn't enjoy, just wondering if i had a bad bottle? I usually like Rye beers so might give this one a go.

I'll chill a bottle of Hop Rod down tonight and compare. This beer is lower in alcohol, and I suspect it's milder in rye character, but it is very hop forward.

The comparison:

Hop Rod has a much more pronounced sweet fruit note than my beer. My beer finishes dry and crisp. Hop Rod has a much sweeter, lingering finish. Hop Rod has a deep red hue, where my beer is fairly pale (despite a bit of roasted barley).

Does this taste anything like Hop Rod Rye? I ask that because the bottle i had of the Hop Rod Rye was horrible. It had this strange sweetness in the aftertaste that i didn't enjoy, just wondering if i had a bad bottle? I usually like Rye beers so might give this one a go.

Could have been past it's prime, so maybe the Hop aroma & flavor had dissipated. I had some Racer 5 like that once, but after thinking about it, I realized that the place I bought it at didn't have a high turnover on those types of beers.

i brewed this up but scaled it to be an IPA. OG 1.064 and FG 1.012, 66 IBU and dry hopped too! 3 weeks primary, 1 week dry hopped in secondary. just kegged it and had a taste....wow this is awsome. its has a nice spiciness to it. my first time using rye malt. im gonna tap it in a week for memorial day

Back