New Orleans Bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
I have lived in New Orleans for the last few years and just thought I would post a few of my favorite bars in the French Quarter/Marigny/Bywater Areas

Molly's Decatur Street--Guinness, Abita Amber, Bass, maybe hoegarden? on tap. A few bottle beer choices. Nice place to people watch int the lower quarter. A lot of locals

Aunt Tikis Decatur Street-- Dive bar colorful clientele at 4 in the morning. Surprising choices in bottle beer

Vaughns Daupine Street Bywater-- Nothing fancy here. Just a neighborhood bar with live music by Kermit Ruffins on Thursday nights

Mimis in the Marignyhttp://www.mimisinthemarigny.com/ -- A few beers on tap pretty good choices in bottles. Great Tapas from the kitchen. Live music upstairs nightly.

DBA Frenchmen Street--Probably best beer selection in town and great live bands nightly. Tap choices rotate.

Apple Barrel Frenchmen Street-- Tiny bar great music Highlife on tap, Several of the bigger Craft brews available in bottle.

Spotted Cat Frenchmen Street -- Great Jazz some beer choices. Nothing on tap.

New Orleans is not really a beer town but we have Abita across the lake and NOLA brewery is the newest addition in town.

At DBA today on tap
http://www.drinkgoodstuff.com/no/default.asp
-guinness stout
-harp lager
-abita amber
-warsteiner pilsner
-anchor liberty ale
-rogue mocha porter
-woodchuck pear cider
-hoegaarden white
-paulaner hefe-weizen
-abita jockamo i.p.a
-rogue chocolate stout
-rogue dead guy
-chimay cinc cents
-leffe blonde
-sierra nevada esb
-fuller's esb
-warsteiner dunkel
-sierra nevada bigfoot barley wine
-lindeman's framboise
-flying dog i.p.a.

If you are Uptown,
http://www.avenuepub.com/

I was there in July, their beer selection has greatly improved over the years, but I would have to guess that 80% of their volume is BMC. The mini tacos are really good too.

Ms Mae's on Magazine or the Bulldog

I was just in New Orleans a few weeks ago and I checked out the Bulldog. It was good enough, and they keep really clean taps and glasses, but the selection was unimpressive. When I go to a real beer bar, expect to see at least a few things that I can't get easily elsewhere. There was no "wow, I can't believe they actually have Beer X here!" moment.

I was just in New Orleans a few weeks ago and I checked out the Bulldog. It was good enough, and they keep really clean taps and glasses, but the selection was unimpressive. When I go to a real beer bar, expect to see at least a few things that I can't get easily elsewhere. There was no "wow, I can't believe they actually have Beer X here!" moment.

It is hard to get the moment in Louisiana, many craft brewers do not distribute there. Did you check out the current Abita Select? That is one beer you can get there that is harder to find.

Oh, yeah, Ms. Mae's.....everyone that visits NO should go there. LOL. $1 cocktails all the time. Go play foosball in the back, you can meet some interesting characters.

As you can prolly tell, I am more of a downtown person. Nothing against Uptown I just don't get across Canal street that often. I always joke and say I can't go there cuz I don't have any polo shirts with popped collars. LOL!

Heading to NO in a couple weeks. I've been told to check out Vaughn's Lounge on Thursday. Anything in particular I need to know about the place, when to get there, etc?

And where exactly on Decatur is Molly's?

Vaughans-- Get there early if Kermit is playing. But he usually wont start til 10 or so. Take a cab. Some sketchy blocks in the neighborhood.

Mollys is directly across the street from Margaritaville by the French Market. Also try Turtle Bay for beer selection. Thirty Beers on tap there. And a good steak.

Vaughans-- Get there early if Kermit is playing. But he usually wont start til 10 or so. Take a cab. Some sketchy blocks in the neighborhood.

Mollys is directly across the street from Margaritaville by the French Market. Also try Turtle Bay for beer selection. Thirty Beers on tap there. And a good steak.

Thanks for the info. Didn't make it to Vaughan's to see Kermit. Dinner went late. I'll have to go next time I'm in NOLA.

Turtle Bay was good though, excellent selection of local beers. It made for a good afternoon, drinking NOLA Blonde and watching the Astros suck it up.

WHAT! no one has mentioned the avenue pub. easily the best craft beer bar in new orleans by a long shot. a long shot. many stone beers on tap, everything the other places have, bottles of everything from rochefort, saison dupont, to mikkeller 1001ibu. specialty drafts other times such as vintages. i remember drinking a 2007 stone old guardian last time i was there. if you are in new orleans dont pass this place up. same with steins deli...the best beer store in louisiana

WHAT! no one has mentioned the avenue pub. easily the best craft beer bar in new orleans by a long shot. a long shot. many stone beers on tap, everything the other places have, bottles of everything from rochefort, saison dupont, to mikkeller 1001ibu. specialty drafts other times such as vintages. i remember drinking a 2007 stone old guardian last time i was there. if you are in new orleans dont pass this place up. same with steins deli...the best beer store in louisiana

I hit it up when I was there in october. The beer selection was good And the atmosphere was laid back. The bartend was great to chat with and I met a local I chatted with over a few pints.

This was the exact thread I was looking for. I am headed to New Orleans next week and I always look to find cool bars and/or breweries to go to... Maybe relocating there in the next few months, so this is my opportunity to check the city out.

Grew up in and around the greater New Orleans area... Love Abita. Stop by they're brewhouse in Abita Springs... Pretty good food. Some of my best friends live there

In addition to Avenue Pub, I'm going to throw out Cooter Browns. I always find a pretty good selection there.

My top three favorite places in New Orleans, and the reason why:

Coops Place : Food and atmosphere. This is always my first stop whenever I go down there. Last time we were there, we sat next to a cajun couple speaking french and it immediately got us into a New Orleans type mood right away.

Bulldog : Able to bring seafood over from The Big Fisherman across the street and eat fresh crawfish/shrimp/oysters while having a big selection of beers to choose from. Granted not the best beers, but able to find a nice beer or two to sip on while we hang outside in the beer garden.

LaFitte's: Forget Pat O'Briens.... the best Hurricane hands down is served right here! Plus, there is nothing cooler than sitting in candlelight, with your wife and a fire lit right beside you and thinking about the history of that place. Just really liked LaFitte's... just a very chill place.

Latest posts

Back