Best yeast for a Dunkelweisen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to brew a dunkelwiesen soon. Wondering which weisen yeast would be best to order?

I might just dump the yeast out of a few BC heffeweisen bottles. Unfiltered, so it should be the fermenting yeast strain, though I have no idea what they use.

Also, on a side note I read that Windsor dried yeast can also be used for weisens. Huh?? Anyone tried that?

For traditional wheats all I have used is Wyeast 3068. Have to admit though, the phenolics get to be a little too much for me as a thirst quencher. Have to remember to ferment at the lower end to tame it down.

I brewed a Dunkelweizen last summer that turned out pretty good. I used White Labs WLP300. The phenolics are strong at first, but do fade amazingly fast over several months-if you can wait it will be worth it.

Here's White Labs' description:

This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.

Attenuation: 72-76; Flocculation: Low; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 68-72

Wyeast's Weihenstephan Weizen is used quite a bit for wheats. Wonder if it is any good for dunkels?

A good temp range as well. Despite my 67deg. basement shelving, it was chugging and blowing so hard that the temp rose to nearly 74...which had me worried.

Back