Question about Malolactic Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curbdawg

Reaction score
Quick question about the malolactic fermentation. One of my ciders has been sitting in secondary for a few weeks now. It has cleared nicely and FG is about 1.006. OG was 1.066. I am in the process of cold crashing it and then was planning on keeping it in the basement to age a little. During the malolactic stage should the cider be bunged completely or still airlocked??

I suppose it could be bunged, but I wouldn't chance it and airlock it. I was under the impression that malolactic only happens with fresh press juice fermented with the wild yeast, and even then isn't guaranteed. What steps did you take to makes you sure it would udergo malolactic fermentation?

We ferment using only the wild yeast, when we move to secondary we add brown sugar around 250grams to 25 litres and yes an airlock then leave for next year in the garage to age. Apparantly (so we have been told) when the warmer weather gets here we will then get a malolactic fermentation i think the temp talked about for this was 15-17 degrees C. Hope this helps

I used fresh pressed juice. Well lets just say if i was going to let it age without bottling should I bung it or airlock it?

I would suggest airlocking, since you probably at least have some co2 in suspension even if fermentation is completely done.

Back