Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
howbrewudo said:
I plan on brewing this for my first AG batch. Just need the weather to warm up!

Your supposed to brew when it's cold and drink when it's warm!

Hey slim- I'm sure you've answered this, but do you batch or fly sparge? I have a 10 gal cooler with a bazooka screen so I'm going to batch sparge.

howbrewudo said:
Hey slim- I'm sure you've answered this, but do you batch or fly sparge? I have a 10 gal cooler with a bazooka screen so I'm going to batch sparge.

I batch sparge.

Just brewed this on saturday. Followed the recipe exactly. Took 5 limes to get .5oz. Probably add the lime aid mid week. Will keep update. Also i did change the yeast to WL320 just for better ester and phenol control. Also the motueka hop has such an amazing aroma.

Halfway done drinking my first batch and planning the second. Just realized I haven't posted a pic yet..... So here it is!!!

5C904EE7-30DA-476D-922E-D409F61BF8D6-2508-000004D60CCE6693_zpsab3a9181.jpg

So very delicious!!!

AVLbrewing said:
Halfway done drinking my first batch and planning the second. Just realized I haven't posted a pic yet..... So here it is!!!

So very delicious!!!

That's a work of art my friend!

cincybrewer said:
bump....anyone brew the extract version?

Several of us have brewed it that way...I believe starting on page 3, you should see some reviews.

brewed this one again and have placed an order for more hops as I know how good this was last summer. I added the limeade about 5 days after pitching the yeast since the fermentation was slowing drastically... within a few hours the blow off tube was doing its job again. Now to let it finish it's thing for the next couple weeks and keg it for a camping trip. Thanks again for the recipe!

That's a work of art my friend!

Thanks! I owe it all to you. I followed the recipe exactly. It wasn't perfect, but that was due to my own learning process. I went ahead and got the supplies to brew this again today. This will officially be the first beer I've ever brewed twice (it was that good)! I'm once again going to follow the recipe exactly. I also pick up grain for two more beers at the same time so the Blood Orange Hef will have to wait until I get through those first (end of the month?).

:mug:

Ordering up my ingredients to make this our second all-grain batch ever after a Nut Brown. Can't wait to taste this one. Hopefully it turns out ok. Thanks for the recipe!

You know, I dont have access to these high tech western products like frozen concentrated lime juice...but I can get some fresh limes squeezed locally. How much ya reckon for a 5 gallon batch? Same volume as the concentrate?

edited to add...

Slow day in the office so I did the math myself. I also just planted a lime tree, so:

For a 6 gal. batch as in the original post.

1.75L of Simply Limeade has 204 grams of sugar total, only 12% of this is pure lime juice.

12% of 1750 mL is 210 mL of pure lime juice which only includes 3 grams of inherent sugar from the fruit.

Therefore substitute 1.75L of Simply Limeade with:

6 Gallon
210 mL of squeezed lime juice
201 grams of sugar
Top up with water to reach 1750 mL's

5 Gallon
175 mL of squeezed lime juice
168 grams of sugar
Top up with water to reach 1458 mL's

KVANTAN said:
You know, I dont have access to these high tech western products like frozen concentrated lime juice...but I can get some fresh limes squeezed locally. How much ya reckon for a 5 gallon batch? Same volume as the concentrate?

edited to add...

Slow day in the office so I did the math myself. I also just planted a lime tree, so:

1.75L of Simply Limeade has 204 grams of sugar total, only 12% of this is pure lime juice.

12% of 1750 mL is 210 mL of pure lime juice which only includes 3 grams of inherent sugar from the fruit.

6 Gallon
201 grams of sugar

5 Gallon
168 grams of sugar

The only other thing you will want to do is to pasteurize the limeade once you've made it. I don't recall the exact procedure but essentially you heat it up to a certain temp (somewhere below boiling...) and hold for a given amount of time. This way you can add it to secondary without fear of infection.

SD-Slim may be able to shed a little more light, as he used to use fresh squeezed blood orangeade for another one of his recipes.

Good luck!

The only other thing you will want to do is to pasteurize the limeade once you've made it. I don't recall the exact procedure but essentially you heat it up to a certain temp (somewhere below boiling...) and hold for a given amount of time. This way you can add it to secondary without fear of infection.

SD-Slim may be able to shed a little more light, as he used to use fresh squeezed blood orangeade for another one of his recipes.

Good luck!

Good call, although I would hope the risk is reduced by the acidic environment, but the 20 or so lime rinds that my hands would come into contact with there is sure to be some sort of nastiness. Maybe I could steam the limes for 3 minutes and not get them too hot to explode but enough to kill anything on the outside. Just my thoughts.

KVANTAN said:
Good call, although I would hope the risk is reduced by the acidic environment, but the 20 or so lime rinds that my hands would come into contact with there is sure to be some sort of nastiness. Maybe I could steam the limes for 3 minutes and not get them too hot to explode but enough to kill anything on the outside. Just my thoughts.

Boil the water before you mix. Don't make it until you need it. You need not pasteurize it unless you are storing it for long periods of time; remember, you are adding this to the fermenter at high krausen, that limeade will be devoured as soon as it hits the yeast!

edited to add...

6 Gallon
201 grams of sugar

5 Gallon
168 grams of sugar

I checked simply limeade on my refractometer. it was 12.4 brix or 1.049sg. as long as you make something that is in the same range it should be fine.

AVLbrewing said:

Good luck!

The only risk of infection comes from the outer peal of the lime and your hands....so I would scrub limes and soak in sanitizer. If you really want to be anal about it, bring the amount of water you want to use, bring to boil, turn heat down add lime juice and then sugar...cool immediately down below 40 degrees, sample, if it taste good then warm up to 70 and pitch......I would personally scrub/sanitize the hell out of those things and use non-pasteurized limeade, the reason being that I want to sample it immediately to make corrections if it doesn't taste good! Remember when you make the limeade, sweet taste will come out first and then you will get the tart...if its the other way around, you didn't add enough sugar.

SD-SLIM said:
The only risk of infection comes from the outer peal of the lime and your hands....so I would scrub limes and soak in sanitizer. If you really want to be anal about it, bring the amount of water you want to use, bring to boil, turn heat down add lime juice and then sugar...cool immediately down below 40 degrees, sample, if it taste good then warm up to 70 and pitch......I would personally scrub/sanitize the hell out of those things and use non-pasteurized limeade, the reason being that I want to sample it immediately to make corrections if it doesn't taste good! Remember when you make the limeade, sweet taste will come out first and then you will get the tart...if its the other way around, you didn't add enough sugar.

Also remember your equation for sugar, is in it's liquid form, granulized form will reduce by 40%.

I know I just posted a picture on the last page of the LLH, but I couldn't resist posting just one more. I was thoroughly enjoying the LLH while brewing a Honey Nut Brown today. It was the perfect beer for this perfect weather. Thanks again Slim! I can't wait to brew it up again next week! I'm starting to run dangerously low...

DSC_0620_zpsa36de14a.jpg

Heres another spin off of this recipe I'll be giving a go for my next beer. Basically the same thing made into a IPA using what I have on hand. I'll let you know how it turns out.

OG 1.065
FG ~1.010
IBU 48.7
SRM 14.2
Eff 80%
Batch Size 6 Gal
Yeast US05 - 2 packs

Grain Bill.....single infusion mash @ 152 for 60mins

11# 2Row
2# Crystal 75

Boil....60 mins

Irish Moss @ 15mins
1.5oz Sorachi Ace @ 15mins
.5oz Motueka @ 15mins
2oz Motueka @ 10mins
1oz Motueka @ 5mins
.5oz Lime Zest @ 5mins

Fermentation - 65F

Add 1.75L Limeade after 2 weeks.

Either gonna use Simply Limeade or going to make my own limeade with Key Limes.

Hopefully on Tue I will be doing my 2nd batch of this brew but I'm gonna use the lemonaide with mango. C how it is. Any word on the one with blueberry ??

howbrewudo said:
Brewed this puppy yesterday as my first AG batch. Smelled awesome. Can't wait to taste it!

Congratulations on your first all grain, I hope you enjoy the beer!

Any word on the one with blueberry ??
Bottled yesterday. Sample had no blueberry whatsoever. To be honest, I got the fermenters mixed up and don't know which is which (brewed 7 gallons, split in 2 ferm. One got limeade, one got lemonade w/blueberry). One taste a lot like limes, the other kind of lemonade-ish (I assume this is the one that was supposed to be blueberry). After tasting the juice I'm not surprised. It was pretty much like pink lemonade. I'll pop a bottle open in a few days for a final update.

I don't have any fancy software to scale this to a 11 gallon recipe, but does this look right? I want 5.5 gallon in each fermenter.

10.5# 2-row
8# white wheat
2# vienna
Add 1.75ml of limeaid to each fermenter after 1 week

11 gallon batch size, 12.5 gallon boil size. My math is showing 1.052 without adding the limeaide. How much gravity will the limeaid add?

I don't have any fancy software to scale this to a 11 gallon recipe, but does this look right? I want 5.5 gallon in each fermenter.

10.5# 2-row
8# white wheat
2# vienna
Add 1.75ml of limeaid to each fermenter after 1 week

11 gallon batch size, 12.5 gallon boil size. My math is showing 1.052 without adding the limeaide. How much gravity will the limeaid add?

not sure how much it'll raise it but the SG of Simply Limeade is 1.049 according to my refractometer

Hey slim, thanks for the recipe. Kinda freaking out right now though. Bubbling stopped a day before the limeade and has not shown much activity since. Almost two weeks in primary..... Unfortunately the garage is about 78 degrees right now, although I have it in a bucket of water that I dump ice into. It's about a constant 73 degrees in fermenter. I work 9 hour shifts and I'm having serious concerns with this brew, any advice would help haha. Thanks again!!

creekwaterbrew said:
Hey slim, thanks for the recipe. Kinda freaking out right now though. Bubbling stopped a day before the limeade and has not shown much activity since. Almost two weeks in primary..... Unfortunately the garage is about 78 degrees right now, although I have it in a bucket of water that I dump ice into. It's about a constant 73 degrees in fermenter. I work 9 hour shifts and I'm having serious concerns with this brew, any advice would help haha. Thanks again!!

I never really got a second krausen when I made this. It probably fermented out without you noticing.

I never really got a second krausen when I made this. It probably fermented out without you noticing.

I haven't got a second krausen either. Also, my air lock stopped bubbling only three days into fermentation (65F). Just remember that just because the air lock is bubbling, doesn't mean nothing is going on.

creekwaterbrew said:

Try and keep your beer fermenting in the proper range to avoid off flavors....also every yeast is different, and just because you don't see movement, it doesn't mean it's not working...on week 3 use your hydrometer to see if you made beer!

Thanks for calming me down guys haha. My main concern is the temp but ill just keep adding ice. I'll keep you all posted! :)

Have my lemonade version bottled up and carbing. Samples tasted great. Will post the results in a few days when I pop one open.

Tasted my hefe's lastnight. The lemonade w/blueberry seemed to have a subtle blueberry finish, but little of the flavor otherwise. I was having trouble finding differences when one of my friends who had no idea what each was tried one and said "is this blueberry?" I guess my palate wasn't in the best shape (I had several beers before these). Both have an almost creamsicle flavor and mouthfeel to them. Maybe mashing a bit lower or possibly adding some sugar to thin it out would help. Overall the Limeade and Lemonade w/blueberry are very similar.

Just brewed my 1st HefeWeizen, 'E kit' (1Gal)
From 'Norther Brewe'r
1 to get a feel for taste
2 to infuse a bourbon to it..

Now there are Soooo many differing opinions as to when to Add bourbon and how.
My question/request is has anyone tried this and how did it turn out..
Any Advice will be welcomed..
Unfortunately i never got the chance to do a gravity reading which po'd me off.
But any way thanks in advance!!!
:)

Suoer excited. This weekend i am kegging my first batch of this and a raspberry red ale. Olan to have a tasting party this weekend. I will post a pick. Also i followed everything exceot for the yeast. I used Whit labs 320 to control ester andnphenol taste.

Back