vinyl tubing for mlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kepling5001

Reaction score
Alright so I need some advice again from the experts haha. I'm about to start all-grain and I got a 10-gallon igloo cooler that I'm converting to a mash tun. I opted to get a false bottom for it which leads me to my question...is it safe to use the normal clear vinyl tubing for the connection between the curved barb on the false bottom to the barb on the spigot? I wasn't sure if the higher temps could somehow leech some chemicals from the normal vinyl or not? Also do I need to get clamps to secure the tubing in place while mashing and stirring and what not? Thanks in advance for any help!

Vinyl is fine. No worries. Won't get near hot enough to release vinyl chloride. And some clamps wouldn't be a bad idea if nothing else just to make sure you don't suck air.

Pretty sure it's not safe to use. I wouldn't use it anywhere that gets above ~140F. IMO, better off getting a section of silicone tubing for that. In the two cooler mash tuns I built (now being used by others) I just used short pieces of silicone tubing in them. Zero risk of anything coming out of that (it's rated either to 500F or damned close to it).

It's not so much the chemicals that can come out of it, but the fact that it will become softer than a sneaker full of puppy sheit. :eek: Prime candidate to give you mash out/sparge issues. IMO, 100% not worth the pain. Especially when you can get the good tubing for a couple of bucks.

I don't really think silicone would be a good choice inside the mash. Silicone can get kind of gummy after a while from repeated heating. If you must use something other than vinyl, I would go with norprene. That's what I use for pumping with my larger rig. It's a little salty, but it's good stuff and will outperform / outlast silicone by far.

I use stainless tubing in my mash tun now... :D IMO, that's really the best option. :rockin:

Inside my mash tun = 100% stainless as well. Outside the mash tun, stainless & silicone. IMO Vinyl should only be used for the water lines in the wort chiller, but even there I just used silicone because it was simpler to buy a long tube and use it for everything.

I should probably clarify that my mash tun is a converted sanke keg. :D I direct fire it, on a Blichmann burner, so stainless (and a NorCal false bottom) is the best combination for me. For the OP, chances are you can get a fitting to connect up a section of stainless. :D Of course, it wouldn't be too much hassle for me since I also have the tool to bend 1/2" OD stainless tubing. :D

Back