TIG Filler Rod for Stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate456789

Reaction score
So I was getting ready to TIG a Keg tonight and I looked at the ingredients of the 308L filler rod and it has .005% Chromium in it.
I checked because of the posts on here saying it is bad stuff to have in the keg.
I looked at all of my other filler rod (Mild Steel) and it had it in it too.

Should I try to track down some other rod? What should I be using? What I have is what the welding supply place recommended. I plan on going at lunch to see what else they have. But any info would be great to have.

Thanks

So I have been researching and now I am a little confused. All stainless has chromium in it along with nickel. That is what makes it stainless. So any filler rod I get for stainless welding will have some chromium in it or the weld will not passivate by producing chromium oxide.
So what are acceptable levels? Or is it safe once the metal has formed the oxide layer?
Need some info if anyone knows. I don't want to slowly poison myself or anyone else. But is sounds like this exposure is part of using stainless equipment. And no filler rod for stainless will be chromium free.

So I have been researching and now I am a little confused. All stainless has chromium in it along with nickel. That is what makes it stainless. So any filler rod I get for stainless welding will have some chromium in it or the weld will not passivate by producing chromium oxide.
So what are acceptable levels? Or is it safe once the metal has formed the oxide layer?
Need some info if anyone knows. I don't want to slowly poison myself or anyone else. But is sounds like this exposure is part of using stainless equipment. And no filler rod for stainless will be chromium free.

Hexavalent Chromium will not leach from any available Stainless filler rod. There are dangers present while welding but the data Ive seen from the studies my company has to do and that I have to provide to my welders show that the danger is minimal at best from the inhalation of welding fumes. It would require a LOT of welding over many years to cause health problems.

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like I am ok with the 308L Rod.
I am looking forward to getting everything welded up this weekend so I can get back to brewing.

Back