Citra + Simcoe + ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
I am looking to do another IPA/APA recipe with Citra and Simcoe, and am looking for another hop that will compliment the two, any ideas??

Thanks

Amarillo, plus any of the other C hops. My Last IPA I Did

.75 Perle 60
1oz Magnum 60
.5 Columbus 60
.25 Perle 35min
.5 Citra 35
.5 Citra 15
1oz Columbus 0

Dry Hop
1oz Cascade
1oz Amarillo

One of the best beers I ever had. The mango of Citra comes out awesome. I want to do a Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo late addition with Centennial for bittering next..

Most recent DIPA I made used warrior, nugget, simcoe, and cascade. I plan to dry hop with citra, cascade, and simcoe. I have only taken 1 sample at 1 week and it was amazing (and surprisingly well attenuated for an imperial). I am going to sample again this week and dry hop it as soon as I get my citra and simcoe delivered.

With no practical experience as my beer is not ready for it, I'd say cascade for the third hop. If someone else chimes in this is a bad idea, perhaps I'll change my dry hop plan for the DIPA.

brentt03 said:
I am looking to do another IPA/APA recipe with Citra and Simcoe, and am looking for another hop that will compliment the two, any ideas??

Thanks

They complement each other really well. My 2 best (of many) IPA's was 50/50 additions at 10, 0, and dryhop of simcoe and citra while the other was 50/50 citra and cascade with the same times. I highly recommend it. 100% citra is good but it gets better much better cut with one of these hops.

i have an Ale kegged I used Honey malt in the recipe. I bittered with Columbus and Centennial, and Dry hopped with Columbus/Citra. It's up next in line when I have a tapper avialable

A old post of mine:

This was a great use of Citra hops aroma!

Citra apa

28g. Simcoe 15 min.
28g. Amarillo 7 min.
85g. citra 2 min.

kegged 3-21-10 with 85g Citra

I find the citra to have a lingering bite, hopheads may like it but I'll never do a all citra beer, nope.

--
A even older post:
posted:1-01-2010

SG1.065
60 IBU
MO,Crystal

Simcoe,Amarillo,Citra = FWH

Amarillo,Citra = 7min

Citra,Amarillo = 2 min

Citra,Amarillo,Simcoe = Dry Hop

I emailed Jamil Z. about how best to use Citra hops to avoid catpiss.. and he wasn't very helpful.

I have 1/2 pound of Citra that I'd like to try. I was thinking of combining with Amarillo/Cent, so should I leave the Citra for late additions, is it good for dry hopping?

TheBrewinator said:
Most recent DIPA I made used warrior, nugget, simcoe, and cascade. I plan to dry hop with citra, cascade, and simcoe. I have only taken 1 sample at 1 week and it was amazing (and surprisingly well attenuated for an imperial). I am going to sample again this week and dry hop it as soon as I get my citra and simcoe delivered.

With no practical experience as my beer is not ready for it, I'd say cascade for the third hop. If someone else chimes in this is a bad idea, perhaps I'll change my dry hop plan for the DIPA.

I like the dry hop idea here!!!

Thinking of going with citra, simcoe, Amarillo for the boil then dry hopping with citra, cascade, simcoe

Just to mix it up a bit.

Only concern is I just brewed an ipa that had simcoe, centenntial and cascade....so I will want the flavors to differ quite a bit.

Mt first Citra IPA experiment is in the fermenter right now. I used Simcoe, Citra and a little Cascade using hop bursting (first addition at 25 mins). OG=1065 and IBUS are about 75. Dry hopping tonight. I might do 2oz Citra and 1oz Simcoe. Or half that and the other half keg hop.

+1 for Amarillo!

I've not yet brewed with Simcoe, but i love Citra & Amarillo both together and separate. Both are great to dry hop with, and i hear the same for Simcoe.

I emailed Jamil Z. about how best to use Citra hops to avoid catpiss.. and he wasn't very helpful.

I have 1/2 pound of Citra that I'd like to try. I was thinking of combining with Amarillo/Cent, so should I leave the Citra for late additions, is it good for dry hopping?

Citra is GREAT dry hopped. REcently did a "C4" IPA, w/ Colombus, Centennial, Cascade, and dry hopped with Citra... the citra's amazing!

Latest posts

Back