Irish Red question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
I was looking at the recipe list and found this Quaffable Irish Red and had some ingredient questions.

I am browsing my LHB online store and have found comparatively close ingredients. the site is http://www.beernut.com/zen-cart/ and have found the following goodies.

1. 6.0 lbs coopers light malt extract (LME)
2. 1/2 lb Dingman's Cara 45. (caramel malt) from your recipe
3. .13 lb Dingman's Biscuit Malt
4. .13 lb Dingman's Chocolate Malt
5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

I am missing the 1/4 lb special roast malt Americas and they don't have the WYeast 1272 American Ale II.

They have white labs stuff in ales. should i go with the Irish Ale Yeast or the California ale yeast? And what can I do with the missing americas malts

here is the original recipe
85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 17.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.1 1 min.
WYeast 1272 American Ale II

I am actually brewing this same recipe on Monday. I got all of my ingredients online at Northern Brewer. They have the special roast your missing and that specific yeast. THe shipping costs $8 which kinda sucks but oh well. They are pretty quick too, I'd suggest ordering from there youll get it in 3-5 days.

yeah i am trying to avoid shipping costs. if i piece it together from my LHBS it will run me about 35 bucks. It is the same at midwest plus 10.20 to ship.

What a mess of a website. It is over-organized to the point of being difficult to understand.

They do have the yeast. It's on like the third page of Wyeast yeasts.

They have the "caramel pilsner" which is usually sold as carapils. They have Dingemans Cara 8, which is Dingemans' product name for it. There is also the Briess carapils, which is a little cheaper. I also found the Briess special roast on the website.

if you are going to use white labs yeast I suggest the english ale yeast the irish ale is more for like dry stouts but it will work and probably taste great its just a matter of how close to style you want to be you could also use danstar nottingham dry yeast with decent results

Maybe off topic, but if you use the $8 shipping you won't get it in 3-5 days. It will probably take 4 days before they ship,IME. Good products though.

I am going up there this weekend hopefully to pick all of that stuff up. I currently have a raspberry wheat kit from midwest sitting there waiting but i dont know which to brew up first. I am very looking forward to this irish red so maybe I will brew that one up first.

thanks for the suggestions i really appreciate them.

I have used the British Ale Yeast (WLP005) for my irish red and it came out tasting really good....nice malty flavor that I balanced out with a few more hops then recommended.

So this is what I got so far. Let me know what you guys think about it.

1. 6.0lb. Coopers Light LME
2. .5lb. Dingmans Cara 45 Malt(caramel)
3. .25lb. Dingmans Biscuit Malt
4. .13lb. Dingmans Chocolate Malt
5. .13lb. Bries Special Roast (americas)
6. 1oz EK Goldings Hops (bittering)
7. 1oz Willems Hops (aroma)
8. WYeast 1272 American Ale II

would it hurt to bump the .13lb malts to .25? It might add a little more flavor but would be nice.

If it were me, I'd take out the special roast and the chocolate and add 4 oz. of roasted barley, the 350 Lovibond, not the crazy 500L stuff. I'd throw in 4 oz. of crystal 120 too. IMO, an Irish red should be very drinkable with just a touch of roasty dryness on the finish. The chocolate and special roast would muddy it up a little too much for the style, too much brown ale character.

I agree with smizak. Chocolate malt is not a typical ingredient for this style, where as roasted barley is. My recipe was something like:

9 lbs. Maris Otter (or 6 lbs Pale LME)
.5 lbs. Caramel 10
.25 lbs. Caramel 80
.25 lbs. Roasted Barley

Some good sweetness in there from the caramel malts, red color from the roasted barley (I too would go with 350...my 500L malts made it a bit too dark). You should get plenty of flavor out of that, while still being able to drink one after the other.

i will take your advise into consideration. thanks again

I am planning on doing a yeast starter on this as well. If i get some light dme from my LHBS that would work for starting my yeasties right?

Back