Ask Your Welding Questions Here!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one. What welder would be a good buy for me? Infrequent use (few times a year likely) only welded once in my life just putting two pieces together to try it. I'd be welding small things, a brew stand being the largest scale project I could project outside of mower repair and things like that. Don't need the best, but would want it to last a while at least. I'm assuming MIG, but what specs to look at and what not? I don't want gas tanks and what not laying around.

here took me a min to find it but check this machine out....

http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_229/Multi-Purpose-Units/WeldAll-200PI.php

you might have to type it in manully but this is a tig welder a stick welder a plasma cutter all in one it goes for around 1600...i have a miller 150 stl....and if i would have seen this machine before i bought my tig for 900 i would have seriously considered this unit...a littlle 25 pound bottle or argon which is good for all tig welding and ur rocking

here took me a min to find it but check this machine out....

http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_229/Multi-Purpose-Units/WeldAll-200PI.php

you might have to type it in manully but this is a tig welder a stick welder a plasma cutter all in one it goes for around 1600...i have a miller 150 stl....and if i would have seen this machine before i bought my tig for 900 i would have seriously considered this unit...a littlle 25 pound bottle or argon which is good for all tig welding and ur rocking

This looks like a nice unit. The specs say the input is 50amp 220/240v. I have a 50 amp 220V plug in my garage. That's all I need right?

yeah that should work.....their website looks really legit....they claim its for industrial use.....i want that machine bad!!!....u might have to swap out the plug...and maybe pull the plug out of your wall just to check weather u have 3 or 4 wires in the romex....that might be important.....electricty is my fortay...sorry

That's a nice machine tigmaster, but probably way more than he needs. A simple wire feed or Mig welder will do the trick, and will probably be much easier for a beginner to use.

I've used a 120v wire feed welder like this one to build numerous projects, including a utility trailer.

The basic wire feed welder uses flux core welding wire (no mig gas). The drawback is that you'll have welding spatter and slag to clean up. Most of these can be converted to mig, but once you do, the thickness of metal you can weld goes down. The MIG gas virtually eliminates spatter and slag.

If you can do 240v, I'd recommend this one. It comes with a gun for aluminum, which is an extra on most other's models. With a different gas mixture and stainless wire, you should also be able to weld stainless materials using a mig welder

If you've got a place to plug in a 240v model, I would go with that, because you'll be able to weld a bit thicker material. But if not, a 120v model will do for what you've described.

I'm not a professional welder, but this has worked great for me.

Moose

I would agree that what he posted is a bit much for what IP asked for, HOWEVER, I think that if you have any ideas of welding stainless in the future you should look at a TIG. I mean, at some point I would think that anyone who CAN weld, that is in this hobby, will think to himself, dang, I really wish I had a TIG so I could weld stainless! Considering nearly everything we use is stainless (or we want it to be/should be) I think it's a valid suggestion so that you dont have to buy equipment twice.

You don't need a TIG to weld stainless. Airgas tells me that you can buy a different gas mixture and stainless wire to weld stainless with a MIG. I'm going to try this hopefully this weekend. If it doesn't work, I can always use acetylene and rod.

Moose

You don't need a TIG to weld stainless. Airgas tells me that you can buy a different gas mixture and stainless wire to weld stainless with a MIG. I'm going to try this hopefully this weekend. If it doesn't work, I can always use acetylene and rod.

Moose

I'd love to hear how that works. Everything I've heard is that TIG is the way to go for stainless, not that you HAVE to use TIG just that it produces a much better weld for that material. I hope it works well for you. Some pics would be awesome.

Moose

yeah u want tri mix gas for mig welding ss

i know it might seem like much for him now....but if he plans on doin any fab why not use the best process. plus the machine has a plasma cutter.....tig and plasma so quick and clean ....

thats another reason i recommende the tig welder....mig flux is nasty..mig with gas u need to different bottels for ss and alum....but tig u can use just argon good for ss and alum and mild and back purging...and the unit always does stick to if u wanna get dirty!!!

That is awesome Tigmaster, but yeah a bit overkill. If I was in the market for a $1600 tool, yeah, that'd be fun as hell! I'm not in any need of anything right now and it's nice to know something like that is out there.

I wouldn't get a longevity welder, they have a habit of not working. Go for something like Miller or Lincoln Electric. Sure you'll be paying a little more initially for a brand name item, but you'll have access to local customer support and the machine won't be DOA (Dead On Arrival.)

OP, the "Cheap inverter importers" also have smaller TIG and MIG welders. You don't have to go for the big all-in-one.

(For the record, I don't want to start a Red vs Blue vs Chinese flame war, but I want to add a little about the research I've done recently about these things)
I've been looking at the Everlast PowerPro 256 - It's the closest competitor to the other one mentioned here. I've done tons of research on the pros and cons of these machines. And I've heard a LOT of bitching about these cheap all-in-one boxes. One thing I have never heard is someone who bought one bitching about its performance after they were properly repaired (If necessary).

From what I've read so far, from people that have used them, they are good welders. I'm not going to go to bat for them directly, because I haven't ordered mine yet. But I'm going to buy it in a couple weeks.

Basically the main argument against these cheap inverter welders is that they aren't blue or red. They're cheap, comparatively, to the big boys.

The legitimate arguments against, that I can recall from all I have read are:
1) Quality issues - They are made in china, and not all are tested after import. So people received them with broken bezels or circuit boards. Typically the customers that complained of this were taken care of by the company with new parts, and the customer was either happy then, or complaining about having to pay to ship a new welder in for service. Sucks if it happens to me, but it's a risk you take.
2) Crappy arc stability - There is some arc gap thing inside that may need to be adjusted to make them work right. Maybe it's another shipping thing knocking them out of whack. I don't know. This seems to be a "Call them up and fix it on the phone" thing.
3) Duty cycle - It's a cheap inverter. It can't run as hot, for as long as a red one.
3) If one process fails, it's likely that the others will quit working too. IOW if your TIG blows you can't plasma cut or stick weld any more. Well, It's an all-in-one unit. It's the risk you take.

The reasons I'm buying a cheap inverter multi-process machine are:
1) It's cheap. I want a TIG welder, and a plasma cutter. I can't touch both of those (Painted red or blue, and with similar specs) for 150% of what this one costs.
2) I'm no pro. I've never TIG welded in my life. I don't want to buy a big expensive machine if I'm going to suck at it. I hear it's pretty tough...
3) I'm no pro. I don't need a 90% duty cycle hoss of a machine to melt metal in my garage.
3) It's small, and relatively light. I don't have a lot of room for a "Non-inverter" welder.

As for welding SS, It's got something to do with the polarity of the arc. It's more than just the gas, because you TIG SS under 100% Argon. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about this can explain much better than that ;)

This is worth what you paid for it, by the way. Just wanted to chime in about what I've found in a few weeks of digging up dirt on these guys...

Moose

Airgas is right. But you cannot weld SS with an acetylene torch! Mig or Tig or Arc, thats it.

If I was going to spend 1600$ on a welder... Hands Down Miller. Maybe even a little backpack welder like this one http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/maxstar_150_sth/ That's all you needs plus its small, weighs like 15lbs and easily movable. You can buy all kinds of attachments for it too.

Airgas is right. But you cannot weld SS with an acetylene torch! Mig or Tig or Arc, thats it.

Not true you can solder/braze its easy... Just a little propane or mapp gas torch and silver-tin solder.

OP, the "Cheap inverter importers" also have smaller TIG and MIG welders. You don't have to go for the big all-in-one.

(For the record, I don't want to start a Red vs Blue vs Chinese flame war, but I want to add a little about the research I've done recently about these things)

Everlast makes some nice welders. On my welding forum there have been countless reviews of import welders. Usually Everlast and Giant Tech out preformed Longevity machines.

I don't want to start a flame war ether.

whats the cheapest mig welder i'd be happy with on a gas setup. i've used a welder before when building my Ford Ranger's front bumper, engine cage, cab cage,light rack and bed cage. it wasn't my equipment but it was hooked up to a bottle of gas.

so whats the cheapest mig welder that I can use gas on.

next project on the horizon is 1.5" square stock brewing stand on casters.

im sure any decent welder is going to be out of my price range :(

must be a mig and gas capable welder.

-=Jason=-

I've been looking at the Everlast PowerPro 256 - It's the closest competitor to the other one mentioned here. I've done tons of research on the pros and cons of these machines. And I've heard a LOT of bitching about these cheap all-in-one boxes. One thing I have never heard is someone who bought one bitching about its performance after they were properly repaired (If necessary).

From what I've read so far, from people that have used them, they are good welders. I'm not going to go to bat for them directly, because I haven't ordered mine yet. But I'm going to buy it in a couple weeks.

Basically the main argument against these cheap inverter welders is that they aren't blue or red. They're cheap, comparatively, to the big boys.

The legitimate arguments against, that I can recall from all I have read are:
1) Quality issues - They are made in china, and not all are tested after import. So people received them with broken bezels or circuit boards. Typically the customers that complained of this were taken care of by the company with new parts, and the customer was either happy then, or complaining about having to pay to ship a new welder in for service. Sucks if it happens to me, but it's a risk you take.
2) Crappy arc stability - There is some arc gap thing inside that may need to be adjusted to make them work right. Maybe it's another shipping thing knocking them out of whack. I don't know. This seems to be a "Call them up and fix it on the phone" thing.
3) Duty cycle - It's a cheap inverter. It can't run as hot, for as long as a red one.
3) If one process fails, it's likely that the others will quit working too. IOW if your TIG blows you can't plasma cut or stick weld any more. Well, It's an all-in-one unit. It's the risk you take.

The reasons I'm buying a cheap inverter multi-process machine are:
1) It's cheap. I want a TIG welder, and a plasma cutter. I can't touch both of those (Painted red or blue, and with similar specs) for 150% of what this one costs.
2) I'm no pro. I've never TIG welded in my life. I don't want to buy a big expensive machine if I'm going to suck at it. I hear it's pretty tough...
3) I'm no pro. I don't need a 90% duty cycle hoss of a machine to melt metal in my garage.
3) It's small, and relatively light. I don't have a lot of room for a "Non-inverter" welder.

As for welding SS, It's got something to do with the polarity of the arc. It's more than just the gas, because you TIG SS under 100% Argon. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about this can explain much better than that ;)

This is worth what you paid for it, by the way. Just wanted to chime in about what I've found in a few weeks of digging up dirt on these guys...

SweetSounds,

I also looked pretty close at that machine. I agree, it's really tough to find a decent comparison, they all end up in a flame war.

One thing to keep in mind with the 3 in 1's is the switch over time. You cannot go directly from tig to plasma. you have to switch out torches etc.
I've had different all-in-one type tools before and they usually do ok, but it's always a pain when you have one setup for a specific operation and have to break it down to use the other function. You can do it, but certainly takes more planning.

You might want to consider two separate machines, tig AND plasma.

I just bought an old miller syncrowave 250 with a water cooled torch. Way more machine than I need, but I got a pretty good deal, so it now calls my shop home. I'm still collecting the "stuff" required to get it going.

I'll be anxious to see how you end up going.

Say hello to my little (450lb) friend:
IMG_3434.jpg

Ed

whats the cheapest mig welder i'd be happy with on a gas setup. i've used a welder before when building my Ford Ranger's front bumper, engine cage, cab cage,light rack and bed cage. it wasn't my equipment but it was hooked up to a bottle of gas.

so whats the cheapest mig welder that I can use gas on.

next project on the horizon is 1.5" square stock brewing stand on casters.

im sure any decent welder is going to be out of my price range :(

must be a mig and gas capable welder.

-=Jason=-

This at $299 is the cheapest one I'm aware of that has good reviews. With free shipping until December 31st, I think it's a very good deal. You will still need a bottle of gas (if you want MIG) and a spool of wire (it comes with .023 wire, but I'd recommend .030). However, if money was an issue, you could hold off on buying gas and just use it with flux core wire. You can make your brewstand out of mild steel easily this way. If you want it to be super pretty you just have to clean up the spatter (no big deal).

Moose

SweetSounds,

You might want to consider two separate machines, tig AND plasma.

I just bought an old miller syncrowave 250 with a water cooled torch. Way more machine than I need, but I got a pretty good deal, so it now calls my shop home. I'm still collecting the "stuff" required to get it going.

Ed

I'm not too concerned about switchover time, as plasma will mostly be used for destruction and TIG for production. I have a few ideas for things I want to make, and will likely build them in a batch process.

I'd LOVE to have a Synchrowave250! But I can't find one for less than $3k It's twice the $$ of the cheaper inverter, and I still want a plasma. If I found a killer deal, though, I'd scrap the Everlast idea in a heartbeat.

I'll post my impressions when I get one - As long as nobody makes fun of my welding skillz (Or lack of!) :drunk:

Tigmaster,

I saw your other thread with the amazing weld on that coupler. You have any pics on back gasing that weld? Do you use two argon bottles or what?What amperage did you use? Did you you just use the torch tip to tack? Was the pic of the interior weld just burn through from the front weld? I just obtained a syncrowave 250 like in the above post. I saw your technique but was confused at the tapping off part (asuming that was back gasing prep). Any help would be appreciated. Pics would be appreciated.

Bartman
[email protected]
Denton,Tx

Tigmaster,

I saw your other thread with the amazing weld on that coupler. You have any pics on back gasing that weld? Do you use two argon bottles or what?What amperage did you use? Did you you just use the torch tip to tack? Was the pic of the interior weld just burn through from the front weld? I just obtained a syncrowave 250 like in the above post. I saw your technique but was confused at the tapping off part (asuming that was back gasing prep). Any help would be appreciated. Pics would be appreciated.

Bartman
[email protected]
Denton,Tx

ahhh the age old question....one bottle of gas with a splitter...about 40 amps to tack and weld first fuse pass...yeah the interior weld was made on my first fuse pass from the outside of keg....thats why i place my coupling in with the face flush.....heres a pic of my backpurge set up....i tape that can up into the keg on the \backside of the coupler....then i put a 6 inch nipple in the coupling to get the area i need to tape off away from my heat....u need to tape the opening of the nipple off to provide back pressure....feel free to ask any more questions...if i missed something....to adjust my back gas pressure i lick my lips and just feel a light breeze out of the vent hole....too much purge will blow ur weld out:rockin:

Tigman,

Fantastic! Of course I have more questions. The splitter was key! On the the 6 inch nipple put in the inside of keg. I can't picture it. Can you flip that tapped can around and take a photo of it? The inside of that setup your holding I mean.
Thanks
Bartman

If I was going to spend 1600$ on a welder... Hands Down Miller. Maybe even a little backpack welder like this one http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/maxstar_150_sth/ That's all you needs plus its small, weighs like 15lbs and easily movable. You can buy all kinds of attachments for it too.

Not true you can solder/braze its easy... Just a little propane or mapp gas torch and silver-tin solder.
Thats not nearly as strong as TIG or MIG?

I'll post my impressions when I get one - As long as nobody makes fun of my welding skillz (Or lack of!) :drunk:

I started another thread intending to document my efforts to get the welder running and my learning curve. I said I'd post pictures of my very first tig attempt. I'm sure it will be UGLY :cross:

Ed

Thats not nearly as strong as TIG or MIG?

no...not as strong as tig....and dont ever mig weld a keg if u dont have to....mig welding is more for stuff u dont really care about...tig is way cleaner and better to use for a sanitary process:rockin:

Back