pressurize and leave it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcollins

Reaction score
So I have a keg/tap set up with one regulator and one coupling head. I have one keg on the go currently but am expecting another one down the line in as few as a couple of days.

What happens if I transfer the new beer to keg and then pressurize it to higher than serving and just leave it until the other keg is blown? Is there any advantage to that or should I just leave it?

In an ideal world I would have a splitter and another coupling head and just serve from one keg while pressurizing the other. I would love to have keg 2 ready to go when keg 1 blows but is there a way to do that easily?

btw, I'm dealing with sankey kegs.

Well, doing a WYE or a splitter is simple. You just need a tee fitting- either bought or homemade. Even I can do it- and I'm the least mechanically inclined person I know!

Very true.

The problem I have right now is that I only have one coupling head so a split CO2 line is going to go nowhere right now.

I was thinking of pressurizing the new keg to something higher than serving and just leaving it until the old keg blew. I'm just not sure if there is any advantage or disadvantage to that.

I would think you can over pressurize the other keg and let it sit until the other keg is blown. It would just be hard to make sure your carbonation is perfect when the other keg blows. It maybe under or over carbed but at least it would be drinkable.

@rmolledo: That's pretty much what I think I'm going to do. I know that I end up pretty close to ideal CO2 volume with 25psi over 24 hours. I'll likely carb the keg overnight with that setting and then purge and re-pressurize to serving pressure and let it sit till the first keg blows. Should be fine...

That is what I just did this weekend with one of my beers. I charge it with 25lbs of pressure and am going to leave it for 1 week under 40 degree temps. After said week it should be where it needs to be then I'll set it to about 8lbs of pressure for serving.

I wimped out! I ended up just switching the coupling head back and forth between the two kegs. Serve a few pints out of one for the evening and then switch the coupling head over to the new keg for overnight and during the day. Drank wine last night so the keg could have a good couple of days on gas for some momentum. LOL I think I still have a few litres left in the old keg but family is coming over today so that will be blown by dinner time, I'm sure. :(

Back