Do I need to worry about hanging a towel over my fermentation bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Reaction score
Until I build something for fermentation temperature control I am setting my fermenter in a container with water, drape a towel over the fermenter and blow air on it with a fan. So the towel is over the lid of the fermenter. Is there any way that this is unsanitary? I'm using this with a bucket not a carboy.

Use some handyman's best friend to stick fix the towel tight around the bucket's sides as well. You want the damp towel pressed right against it for maximum heat transfer. When you touch the damp towel with the fan blowing on it, it should be very cool. Science is a wonderful thing.

change up the towel for a fresh every 4-5 days if you're leaving the towel there for more than a week. otherwise you'll have some mold/mildew on the cloth.

ive never used a fan, i use ice bottles to keep my swap water cool.. i always have a t-shirt covering my carboys and boy they really start to stink from being in the swamp water for a few weeks.

I like the idea of using a belt to keep the shirt tight.

Back