IIPA flavor hop (columbus bittering)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAdamC

Reaction score
I am all set to brew this tomorrow:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: IIPA
Brewer: Adam Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 115.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.67 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.50 %] (60 min) Hops 77.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.40 %] (30 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.40 %] (15 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.40 %] (10 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.40 %] (1 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.67 %
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.44 qt of water at 173.1 F 154.0 F

Grain is crushed and all mixed up, carboy cleaned, picked up the burner from my friend, and was supposed to get the hops. We just got a bunch of ingredients. He bought 5 Lbs of hops (Cascade, Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial, and Chinook.). I bought a 50 Lb bag of two row and about 40 Lbs of specialty grains. The problem is we can't find the Centennial anywhere. So I'm hoping for a sub for Centennial. I have 2 APAs with all cascade fermenting, so I'd like to use something else, but don't want to buy anything. Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to making my own recipes, and my first kind of bombed, so I'm trying to avoid a repeat.

I forgot, I have 3 oz Simcoe, too. I love Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale. Maybe Simcoe and Amarillo? Would they go well with the Columbus? If not I could use any of the other varieties I listed.

Amarillo and Simcoe are a good combo but I do favor Columbus hops in the finish. Personally I would move the 30 minute addition farther back to at least 15 minutes. You have a lot of IBUs there but the majority are in the 60-30 minute range. I like big hop flavor and have been hopping more in the 20 minute to 10 minute range.

Thanks. I was thinking that might be a little over the top, even for a hop bomb. I've never used Columbus before. Would you just bump the 30 to 15 and switch everything to Columbus, or mix in some Simcoe and Amarillo?

I would bitter with the Columbus and use the Amarillo and Simcoe for the finishing hops at 15-10 & flameout. Use equal amounts and then dry hop it.

I would just use all amarillo or amarillo/columbus instead for the late hops and do the bumps as you indicated. Personally I'm a big fan of columbus for late additions & dh...not as much simcoe or chinook, they remind me too much of the urea smell when changing the cat litter box.

Well, its been awhile. I bittered w/ Columbus. First wort hopped, actually. I used Columbus, simcoe, and amarillo from 15 minutes on. I'll post the recipe w

Well, its been awhile. I bittered w/ Columbus. First wort hopped, actually. I used Columbus, simcoe, and amarillo from 15 minutes on. I'll post the recipe when I'm not posting from my phone. I forget the gravites now, but it is sitting at 8.9% and tasted great when I racked it to secondary. You would never guess it was that high alcohol. My wife was great about babysitting it while I was at work. I started it at 62 and ramped to 68 as it slowed. I dry hopped with 2 oz. Amarillo, an oz each simcoe and Columbus. This may be my best brew yet. Thanks for the advice.

Back