Aging in a keg after carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Hey all,
I had a Newcastle-ish clone in the primary for 14 days and then in to the keg. Well in the keg now for about 10 days at 12 psi and it is now carbed nicely. The taste however is way off. Pretty sure it is just green but maybe fermented a bit too hot as well. My question now is I want to age it for another week or two and want to know what my best course of action is. Should I keep aging in the kegerator at cold temps or should I pull it out, keep it at 12psi and let it come to room temperature to sit for a week or more? I think I keep reading that it will age faster and better at room temperature?

As long as your room temp is 70ish, room temp. Not 80+ though. And consistent is key too, don't let it fluctuate every day.

Also, if you fermented too hot, you should let it sit way longer...like months. It'll be much better given some time. I do know about how it feels to be waiting on one beer though...

My basement is right at 68 degrees. Not much fluctuating. Should I release the pressure or keep it at 12 psi if I take it out of the keggerator?

don't release any pressure. you can remove it on full pressure and leave it in the corner a few weeks.

you can also just seat the lid on a newly filled keg with 30psi, and then leave it to sit at room temp if you have no room or know for a fact it needs to age a bit.

I drain kegs slowly enough that they condition at 44F for months and months.

Let it warm up, but not release the pressure. The pressure will go up with temperature and if you release it, you'll have to re-carbonate. When you put it back online, make certain it is chilled completely before reconnecting.

Back