Soperbrew coming to Pennsylvania!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be flying into State College, PA on Thursday, March 25th for a wedding. I want to hit Otto's Brewpub while I'm there.

Anyone from PA near State College want to meet up for a beer? I'll be free all day Thursday & possibly later Friday night after the rehearsal dinner.

I'll be here, at least for Thursday. We're planning to drive to Philly that weekend to visit a friend, see his new baby, help with some home repairs and hand deliver my entries for the NHC rather than pay for shipping. Might drive down Friday, maybe Sat. morning.

I'd also recommend Zenos. Great beer selection, 20+ taps.

I might be able to convince my wife to go to Otto's for dinner after her class on Thursday. She's done teaching @~7:30 so they might not be so crowded then - which is what my wife doesn't like. The food is OK, sometimes better than others, which my wife also finds a little annoying - plus she likes my beer better. :D Beer is decent, tending towards English styles. Parking can be a pain. Overflow parking is across the street at a bank, but the crossing is a bit treacherous.

Of course there is also my basement bar. Everything in my Signature should be available by then, but the Holiday beer, and stout will likely be gone. The Orange Kittie Zoom (Std. Amer. lager) and the Rye beer will be kegged this week sometime.

I'll be here, at least for Thursday. We're planning to drive to Philly that weekend to visit a friend, see his new baby, help with some home repairs and hand deliver my entries for the NHC rather than pay for shipping. Might drive down Friday, maybe Sat. morning.

I'd also recommend Zenos. Great beer selection, 20+ taps.

I might be able to convince my wife to go to Otto's for dinner after her class on Thursday. She's done teaching @~7:30 so they might not be so crowded then - which is what my wife doesn't like. The food is OK, sometimes better than others, which my wife also finds a little annoying - plus she likes my beer better. :D Beer is decent, tending towards English styles. Parking can be a pain. Overflow parking is across the street at a bank, but the crossing is a bit treacherous.

Of course there is also my basement bar. Everything in my Signature should be available by then, but the Holiday beer, and stout will likely be gone. The Orange Kittie Zoom (Std. Amer. lager) and the Rye beer will be kegged this week sometime.

Yeah I'll probably be busy Friday and Sat. with wedding stuff, and my plane arrives around 1pm on Thursday. So Thursday would work out great if you're still in town. I'd be honored to have a beer in the basement bar too. Not sure if I'll be able to sneak anything of mine up.

Two weeks to my arrival. Anyone else in the State College area want to have a beer at Otto's on Thursday, March 25th?

Zenos is a great place. As is State College. I spent 5 fantastic years at Penn State. It is one of the best college towns you could find.

As far as beer selection goes, there aren't many other places. Tons of bars per block up there but they cater to the college crowd and craft brews are trumped by economics.

After a few Bottles of Belgian awesomeness, I recommend you walk a few store fronts down the The Diner and order some Mac n' Cheese. You will not be disappointed.

Zenos is a great place. As is State College. I spent 5 fantastic years at Penn State. It is one of the best college towns you could find.

As far as beer selection goes, there aren't many other places. Tons of bars per block up there but they cater to the college crowd and craft brews are trumped by economics.

After a few Bottles of Belgian awesomeness, I recommend you walk a few store fronts down the The Diner and order some Mac n' Cheese. You will not be disappointed.

Sounds like a plan. Mac N Cheese after beer!

Had 3 Sam Adams Noble Pils on tap in an Irish Pub in the Detroit airport on the way to State College.

In the hotel now & ready to explore!

It was a great time! Hanging out in the basement bar for a couple hours having a bunch of homebrew samples, then off to Zenos for dinner and more fine beers. We sampled everything in my sig. that is on tap or kegged/aging except the sour and the 441 Alt. We would have gotten to those to but we had to go pick up my wife to head to Zenos

Here's what we had at Zenos, on draft unless noted otherwise.

Otto's Spruce Creek lager
Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
Oaked Arrogant Bastard (bottle)
Bell's Hopslam
Oud Beersel Framboise Lambic
Tripel Karmeliet
Bell's Hopslam
Troegs Troegenator
Yuengling Porter

It was a great time! Hanging out in the basement bar for a couple hours having a bunch of homebrew samples, then off to Zenos for dinner and more fine beers. We sampled everything in my sig. that is on tap or kegged/aging except the sour and the 441 Alt. We would have gotten to those to but we had to go pick up my wife to head to Zenos

Here's what we had at Zenos, on draft unless noted otherwise.

Otto's Spruce Creek lager
Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
Oaked Arrogant Bastard (bottle)
Bell's Hopslam
Oud Beersel Framboise Lambic
Tripel Karmeliet
Bell's Hopslam
Troegs Troegenator
Yuengling Porter

Oofta! I was pretty much beer'd out by the end of the night. Great time though.

Alright people, I'll be back in PA for NHC this year. I arrive on Wed. June 26th. Going to arrange some type of HBT gathering so we can all meet up.

dhathazy, You won't need an NHC ticket to hook up with us. It'll be before the actual conference & maybe a couple times during lunch or supper during the conference.

Soper can party with the best of them.

Except---------- he passes out and then sleeps until noon.

In Minneapolis, I finally dragged his sorry ass out of bed at noon, after I had been up (and drinking) since 7:30 AM.

Edit- Hey, Soper........'member when we went out in Minneapolis? Great time!

That's the plan sis! This whole candy thing was a vehicle to get me closer to beer events . . . seems to be working well thus far. Might even be able to fit a keg or two in the car so we'll be looking for you, and on the lookout for that soper guy. He's a slippery one, you know. haha

Soper can party with the best of them.

Except---------- he passes out and then sleeps until noon.

In Minneapolis, I finally dragged his sorry ass out of bed at noon, after I had been up (and drinking) since 7:30 AM.

Edit- Hey, Soper........'member when we went out in Minneapolis? Great time!

lol, yeah but I was the one still partying the night before when the sun came up.

That's the plan sis! This whole candy thing was a vehicle to get me closer to beer events . . . seems to be working well thus far. Might even be able to fit a keg or two in the car so we'll be looking for you, and on the lookout for that soper guy. He's a slippery one, you know. haha

I'm still itching from all those hops I poured down my shirt last year.

Hahaha, we'll dream up a competition just for you this year that combines many brewing/drinking related events. Homebrewers in the Youngstown area drink with at least one eye opened at all times. Should be a blast!

Back