American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone thought about adding some vanilla to this beer? Seems like it would go well with the coriander.

I ordered all the ingredients for this and plan on brewing it this weekend, however NB sent me crystal hops instead of cascade. I am not familiar with crystal...

Will these work or should I just hold off until I get the cascades?

I did a beer view to this recipe on youtube. I followed the recipe exactly. What an awesome brew!!

http://youtu.be/k2ia2faRnTQ

Aaron Rodgers likes my recipe, I am very honored. Thanks Aaron Rodgers, glad you liked it!

I ordered all the ingredients for this and plan on brewing it this weekend, however NB sent me crystal hops instead of cascade. I am not familiar with crystal...

Will these work or should I just hold off until I get the cascades?

Although it starts with a C, I believe that crystal offers more of a spicy aroma that the citrus/grapefruit of the traditional Cascade. So it will be a different beer. Shame on NB.

Has anyone thought about adding some vanilla to this beer? Seems like it would go well with the coriander.

I don't see vanilla going well with this recipe at all. But, you never know....give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Hi!

Thanks for this recipe, I just got done brewing a variant of it as my first AG brew!

I substituted 2 row for the Maris Otter and since LHBS didn't have any Cascades I substituted Galena. I'm sure the end result will be a little different, but I'm just glad I hit all my numbers and had a great brew day!

I brewed this recipe this weekend and was excited to give it a go. I hit all my target temp's and volumes and aerated the wort for about 60 seconds with oxygen and then pitched one packet of safale s-04 at about 70 degrees. I set it aside to ferment and saw no activity after 24 hours. The fermenter temp was about 72-74 so I moved it to a cooler spot and got it down to about 68-70 degrees. Another 24 hours later and still not a bit of activity.

Should I re-pitch another packet? I am not familiar with dry yeast as much as liquid. Also the yeast sat for about 2-3 weeks in my kegerator at around 40 degrees if that matters.

I have wanted to brew this recipe for some time. I had planned 2 other recipes ahead of it, however. My brew buddy said he was making a barley wine with all Maris Otter base malt and I could use the second runnings! Bought the other ingredients for the Orange Pale Ale and I was on my way! I did a mini mash with 4 lbs Maris Otter and the specialy grains, decanted the tea to my brew pot, dumped the grains atop his sparged grain bed and sparged some more. At 6.5 gal collected in brew pot, the SG (adjusted for temp) was 1.057) almost dead on. The only recipe changes were-I used fresh Cascade hops that I grew myself (10 min, 5 min) and subbed Citra for Cascade in the 1 min hop addition. I'll let you know how it tastes. My suggestion, however, if you're making a big 10 gal Maris Otter beer, this recipe lends itself to a great 2nd running 5 gal batch. You could possiblly steep the specialty grains like a PM recipe, although i did not. Thanks black lab! Ending SG litte high at 1.064

Blacklab, thank you so much for posting this recipe! I had a few last weekend after three weeks in the bottle and was completely satisfied. This beer reminds me a little bit of Hazed and Infused: big hop flavor, but low enough ABV to have a few without having to call in sick the next day. Wonderful hop aroma and flavor. I think the orange peal and coriander add a nice level of complexity to this American Ale. Cheers!

I am not set up for PM at the time so I made these changes for extract:
-1 lbs Crystal 60L steep @152
-1 lbs Pilsen DME
-6 lbs Gold LME
-11oz table sugar (to dry out the extract a little more since I did not mash)

Hop schedule per original recipe

SG 1.056
FG 1.013

Is it sweet orange peel? Bitter orange peel orange zest what r people doing?

I grate my own oranges. If I want them sweet, I make sure to not get any of the white pith. If I want it bitter, I get a lot of pith in there.

It would become a hoppy saison, which I think would be pretty good, actually.

dadnboys said:
I have wanted to brew this recipe for some time. I had planned 2 other recipes ahead of it, however. My brew buddy said he was making a barley wine with all Maris Otter base malt and I could use the second runnings! Bought the other ingredients for the Orange Pale Ale and I was on my way! I did a mini mash with 4 lbs Maris Otter and the specialy grains, decanted the tea to my brew pot, dumped the grains atop his sparged grain bed and sparged some more. At 6.5 gal collected in brew pot, the SG (adjusted for temp) was 1.057) almost dead on. The only recipe changes were-I used fresh Cascade hops that I grew myself (10 min, 5 min) and subbed Citra for Cascade in the 1 min hop addition. I'll let you know how it tastes. My suggestion, however, if you're making a big 10 gal Maris Otter beer, this recipe lends itself to a great 2nd running 5 gal batch. You could possiblly steep the specialty grains like a PM recipe, although i did not. Thanks black lab! Ending SG litte high at 1.064

OK, I just cracked my first bottle after 1 week. There is one thing I would change in the future. When I transferred to the secondary fermentor I tasted the beer. The sweet orange was too subtle for me so I added about 2T of fresh grated orange peel to the secondary. Unfortunately, this was too much orange and now it has a super orange nose and taste. I think I just created a fruit beer. Delicious and dangerously way to easy to drink, but too orange right now.

OK, I just cracked my first bottle after 1 week. There is one thing I would change in the future. When I transferred to the secondary fermentor I tasted the beer. The sweet orange was too subtle for me so I added about 2T of fresh grated orange peel to the secondary. Unfortunately, this was too much orange and now it has a super orange nose and taste. I think I just created a fruit beer. Delicious and dangerously way to easy to drink, but too orange right now.

Glad you're liking it...now you know how much to add if you want an orange bomb. In the original recipe it's not 'hit in you in the face' orange. You really need to know what you're looking for when you try a sample pre-bottling, as it will change dramatically when carbed.

Just brewed, but I got distracted and forgot to throw in the orange & coriander, so I made a 5 litre tea, boiled for 15 and threw it in the fermenter. Still be beer right :tank:

Brewed this Monday..... It is fermenting away right now and my brew room smells awesome like a big citrus party!

I brewed this on 8-20 and bottled on 9-8. After two months in the bottle the hop flavor and aroma have faded quite a bit (which is typical in my experience) but the orange peal has really come forward to keep the overall flavor full and interesting. I am very satisfied with this beer. It has been a real crowd pleaser and I look forward to brewing it again in the future.

Looks like I'm brewing a 1 gallon batch of this tomorrow. Not motivated to build my 2.5 gallon setup so ill just brew a small batch

Just threw mine into cold crash with 32g Motueka and 36g Cascade. Gravity sample was really good, nice hint of spice from the coriander, but not much from the orange. Still made beer though :mug:

Ghetto cold crash, thanks to Crusader1612:
A73kQ-sCEAA41e-.jpg

Container, water from the hose, 10L ice block rotated every 8 hours (give or take)

Orange Cascade Pale Ale on the right, Rhubarb Saison on the left:
A73kfWlCYAAzckY.jpg

I'm gonna LE mine sit on the yeast a little bit longer.... It only been in there since Monday. Probably going to let it go till next Friday or so and then dry hop for 5 days. Cold crash and keg.

image-3971365256.jpg

I'm gonna LE mine sit on the yeast a little bit longer.... It only been in there since Monday. Probably going to let it go till next Friday or so and then dry hop for 5 days. Cold crash and keg.

You keep your carboy in DIRECT sunlight?! You might not want to do that...

I'm doing this twice.
First time is as Recipe (cost me a bit extra for the us hops here in NZ).
then I'll re do it shortly after, adding 1kg(2lbs of Wheat Malt) to up the abv and give it Something extra and use a saison or farmhouse style yeast. and compare.....

If i like any of these, I might even try one or both orf these with Nelson Sauvin, I reckon It'd go quite well with it.

I've added a 1lb of wheat to the recipe in the past, it's nice. Gives it some more body and a fluffier head.

Using this recipe as my first 10 gallon batch to split with a friend. He likes wheats and Belgians and I like IPA and pale ales. Hope this will make us both happy!

Transferred mine to dry hop it /dry peel it. Going to give it a week then bottle it

I think you'll like the outcome. I have done it both ways as well. The beauty of this recipe is it's flexibility in my opinion. If you like more spice, add to the coriander. If you like more orange, dry peel or add more to the boil. I have brewed this recipe several ways to find my favorite....and I have equally loved each rendition on it's own merit.

Love this recipe.:rockin:

Back