Aging a very big beer....large volume vs bottle....how long in which????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanoffermentation

Reaction score
I recently made an all grain clone of the founders breakfast stout, and I'm uncertain as to where this beer should do the bulk of it's aging. I know this will surely benefit from aging, but how long should one age a big beer in a secondary vessel vs bottle aging? I'm not very experienced with the big beers, so anyone with some thoughts, I would be grateful for your input.

Hold it I'm bulk till you need the fermentor, in my, amateur opinion. I only have 2 carboys so that stuff would have to be bottled in my house, lol.

As long as the beer has cleared, I find it less problematic to age in the bottle. Kegs are really ideal though.

Good points. When the sediment layer on the bottom stops progressing, maybe that will be the clue to move to bottle.

I find bulk aging better. awhile back I bottled half a barleywine after a few months and then bulk aged the rest for another few months. the bulk aged version was better quicker and smoother. also, if its bulk aged you won't run into the trouble of 'testing' it to see if its ready and wasting a bunch before its hit its prime.

Back