Can someone analyze my water report???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
Here is the water report for Amity Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania.

Can someone look it over and let me know what I need to correct and how to do it? Sorry...I am a complete water n00b!

water-2.jpg

TIA for the help!

John

It doesn't have most of the information you need and what it does provide is too large a range to be worthwile. I'd send it to a lab for testing.

I'm sure someone smarter will come along, but off the bat, I'd say you'll need to do something about the chlorine. There are a number of ways to reduce chlorine, including Campden or certain kinds of filters, or letting the water sit.

Other than that, your water report doesn't really tell you much of anything. The hardness range is really wide, and you couldn't really accurately extrapolate from a general hardness. You might be able to get close, but it would only tell you about the Ca and Mg in the water, not any of the other ions.

That link doesn't help that much. It tells Ca, SO4, and Cl, but I didn't see alkalinity or the other ions on there.

For alkalinity, you can call your water utility (or treatment plant) and ask what the value is. Our plants run alkalinity on the raw and finished water every 6 hours.

Back