Orange Juice Wine - Let's do this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuumi

Reaction score
I've read the forums and by all accounts this is nasty stuff. Well I guess the guys at St. Armands Winery didn't get the memo. Did a tasting there this weekend and this stuff was great. In fact, all their stuff was good. The guy serving the tastings wasn't much help when I asked questions about the process. But he was insistent that all the wines were made with juice. No sugar added and no grapes added (except for the grape wine, of course). I wasn't going to argue with him but how in the hell do they make watermelon wine without adding sugar? Getting a bit off topic here.

Let's make some fermented OJ! Any ideas? Keep it cool with a slow and low temp approach. Nutrients?

Here is a list of all the wine made at the place. Scroll down for the OJ wine.
http://starmandswinery.com/wines.htm

Maybe they backsweetened a dry white wine with fresh orange juice?

... this won't turn out good.. That being said, there are reports on here that fermented orange juice has actually come out okay (and not like a rancid vomit taste).

Nope. Copied from the description.
ORANGE SUNSHINE: Sweet or Dry. It's the real thing! It is not made by flavoring grape or apple wine with an orange flavor essence. Our wine is made with pure 100% fresh-squeezed Florida Orange Juice. Available in dry and semi-sweet. Taste the difference! A wonderful wine with seafood, poultry, pizza and desserts. A terrific marinade also. Super with chocolate! Gold Medal, Indiana International Wine Competition, 1999. Silver 2004.

Made WITH 100% oj. Not 100% made from oj. With and from are two seperate things. I can put oj with champagne and I have a mimosa. I think craigtube has a video on this. Jail wine

One way to make wine without adding sugar (like the watermelon you doubt) is to boil it down to a concentrated juice. Or maybe the tasting room guy didn't know what he was talking about. Some tasting room guys are just salesmen. If he doesn't know anything about the process, he probably doesn't know anything about what they jam into it.

Ahhh. That's some tricky wording. Also notice that they say they don't use essence in grape or apple wine...but they use OJ. Very tricky indeed. I also think they have the salesman tricked.
One more thing though. I've looked into the labeling requirements of the TTB and they are pretty specific. For example, a local wine maker wanted to use raisins in an apple wine for body. He had to say it was a raisin/apple wine on the label. Wouldn't it have to be on the label if it was anything other than OJ wine? Could it be fermented sugar backsweetened with OJ? I'm having a hard time figuring out how some of those wines are made. They were all amazing too.

Check out the strawberry. Made 100% from Florida strawberries. Must have done the boil down method. Might send them an email or call to figure out the wording and see what info I can get about the process.

There is a recipe on here that is made from 100% bananas, I even adapted it and made myself a banana mead.. from 100% bananas. I think it's just really, really tricky to get orange juice to ferment out well. That being said, maybe they just know a trick or two to get it to taste pretty damn good. Do they offer tours of their winery? You might be able to ask how they do it on one?

Labeling is a horrible thing to understand. The laws change every 6 months, and the laws are interpreted differently by every agent. We recently bottled up two wines, same grape, same year, same vineyard, same everything. One was a reserve (best three barrels). The regular label was approved in two days. The Reserve took a month. They made us change multiple things. The only difference in the original label was a watermark that said Reserve. But they made us change vineyard designation, county, and one other thing.

I guess what I am saying is, he can get away with whatever he wants if he either 1-lies, or 2- gets the right agent.

Back