Blow off tube emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chombo

Reaction score
hey everyone, i am in need of a makeshift blowoff tube immediately, i can see the krausen spilling into the airlock currently, problem is i dont have the proper size tubing, and i have to leave for work in an hour. is there anything i would be able to use for now until i can get to the hardware store tomorrow morning?

thanks

never mind, i did a search and saw some people jamming their siphon hose into their airlock, as my hose didnt fit my aorlock, i did jam it into the rubber bung, problem solved! if i had any sort of accident i would be in big trouble, glad the "similar threads" function was invented.

Man that sounds like a nightmare. Glad you got it worked out..

I recently had a similar problem, only when i made a blow off tube like you did... it started getting clogged too. What worked best (after searching on here) was to place some foil over the top of the carboy opening (if you have a glass carboy). It will allow the gasses and krausen to escape over the top without letting the air in. Then when the krausen begins to fall, put the sanitized airlock back on. There is so much pressure coming out of the top that the risk of it getting contaminated is slim to none.

A bigger blow off tube would also work better. That is my next purchase. I believe 1.25 " is best.

Just be careful with the siphon hose. They are only 3/8" or 1/2" diameter. They can be prone to getting clogged. I would suggest going to the hardware store in the morning and picking up a 1" hose, or keep a close eye on your primary until the krausen falls.

Back