Where to buy Johnson A419 temperature controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I think I've settled on the Johnson A419 temp controller. Looks like they are around $80 prewired from Austin, Midwest, and Northern.

Anybody seen them much cheaper anywhere else? I am not having much like finding them for less.

Anyone?? I guess I'll be paying $80. :)

That's the going rate these days and it's rare to find them discounted anywhere. The good news is that they are very well built and worth the price. I have one and I'm very pleased with it. I also have numerous Johnson analog controllers that are also very durable and work quite well.

Thanks for the leads. I don't think those are pre-wired. I would just need to buy a power cord and wire it in somehow I suppose??

I gotta say, wiring it up is not as simple as it sounds, unless you are used to doing that sort of thing. I was fairly glad to pay that extra for the pre-wired one, and I usually like to take some DIY angle.

Like someone else, above, said, the A419 is a great controller that will last forever. I have a few, and I am very happy with them. I also have a Ranco. I like the A419s better.

TL

I was able to wire one using this diagram. I wish I could remember where I got it from to give out the proper credit. Anyway I'm not all that handy and it was not that difficult. I decided to do all the wire nut splices in a single gang box to make the job a little easier.

a419_dwg.jpg
A419_001.jpg

Any of you guys use one of these to turn on a heat stick? I have a single MT system with a Teel pump for recirculating. I have a 1000w heatstick and I'd like to use a controller like this to turn it on if the mash gets too cool.

Doh...I think the problem is the probe is probably not immersible.

Wish I would have checked here before ordering though Amazon. A419ABC came from HVAC Mega Store in Kansas City for $67 including shipping.

Had to do some wiring but pretty simple after figuring out just to wire the (2) ground leads together.

I was able to wire one using this diagram. I wish I could remember where I got it from to give out the proper credit. Anyway I'm not all that handy and it was not that difficult. I decided to do all the wire nut splices in a single gang box to make the job a little easier.

a419_dwg.jpg
A419_001.jpg

Tagging along in case I need this diagram :D

Back