The marriage of Ale and Lager- the Alger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'd depend on the temp at which you pitched. If you pitch cool, the ale yeast will go dormant and you'll basically brew a lager. If you pitch at ale temps, they'll tend to be more active (the lager yeast might produce a few fruity esters, but I *think* the ale yeast would be a bit more active).

You familiar with Papa Charlie's Cry Havok yeast? It's supposedly good for ales or lagers. I've got a vial, but haven't gotten around to using it in anything yet. You've also got the steam beer yeasts, which are lager yeasts that work fairly well at ale temps (well, ~60°-62°).

the_bird said:
It'd depend on the temp at which you pitched. If you pitch cool, the ale yeast will go dormant and you'll basically brew a lager. If you pitch at ale temps, they'll tend to be more active (the lager yeast might produce a few fruity esters, but I *think* the ale yeast would be a bit more active).

You familiar with Papa Charlie's Cry Havok yeast? It's supposedly good for ales or lagers. I've got a vial, but haven't gotten around to using it in anything yet.

I agree that one or the other yeast will take over. I've seen 1056 ferment normally at 56F and up to 70F, so that's pretty damn versatile IMO...

Make a Cream Ale with WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend and ferment at 60-65F. It'll make an awesome brew.

I think the mixture helps to get that clean lager crispness without too much sulfur production.

No matter what, i would keep it around 60F if you are going to do a mixture...at least somewhat in range for both yeasts.

Perhaps I speak of what should not be spoken, but I think the best way to achieve a "Alger" or whatever you called it would be to make two beers one ale and one lager, ferment, blend, then force carb or bottle.

Quite a few commercial beers are blended as well as some craft beers. For instance, New Castle Brown is a blended beer.

I think it is an under utilized technique for the home brewer. It may be an interesting way to fix a bland brew or make the undrinkable drinkable.

Gedvondur

Gedvondur said:
Quite a few commercial beers are blended as well as some craft beers. For instance, New Castle Brown is a blended beer.

Interesting--I did not know that!

I suppose theoretically, if you pitched an ale yeast and let ferment halfway, then transferred to a secondary fermentation, dropped the temp and added lager yeast, it would be possible for it to be half ale, half lager. However, that would be a huge hassle, and likely not worth it.

cubbies said:
I suppose theoretically, if you pitched an ale yeast and let ferment halfway, then transferred to a secondary fermentation, dropped the temp and added lager yeast, it would be possible for it to be half ale, half lager. However, that would be a huge hassle, and likely not worth it.

That was close to my thought, I considered doing 2.5 gallons in 1 carboy with an ale yeast at say 65F. When that is done, add 2.d more gallons of wort with a lager yeast and cool it to 54F or so.

Back