Accurate hydrometer search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vNmd

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find an accurate hydrometer? The one I got with my first kit was spot on. Of course I broke it (broken hydrometer thread updated). I got another one and checked and it was 6 points off with plain water (same check as my previous one). I got another one and it is 4 points off plain water. This must be some bad karma for not treating my first one as good as it should have been treated, but are they all hit and miss? It doesn't seem that complicated of equipment. I know it is simple math to compensate, but I hate math.

Have you ever considered a refractometer? After my fourth hydrometer broke I picked one up for 23 bucks. You need to run a small conversion when you want to check fermented wort, but they're solid, and they won't fall over and break when you need them most.

Thanks for the links. I have thought about the finishing ones but have not pulled the trigger. I do like the AHS ones. The middle one would fit my needs pretty well. I do have a refractometer and it is one of the most useful things I bought. I almost didn't get it, thinking I would never need it.

Thanks again for all the info.

I have owned 4-5 maybe including the Williams one mentioned above. All were off! I broke my last one and decided phuck it and now use a decent refractometer. Hydrometers, who needs 'em.

Back