Cranberry Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Cranberry Cyser:

Ingredients for 1/2 Gallon+:
1/2 gallon Apple Juice
1.5 pounds Honey
1 12 ounce can of frozen Cranberry Juice concentrate (no preservatives)
Yeast

I find it's easiest to make two batches at once, that way you can split a gallon of apple juice between two one-gallon jugs. Simply add the honey, and shake until dissolved. Then add the cranberry juice and yeast, give the jug another good shake and pop on an airlock.

I just made two half-gallon batches of this Cranberry Cyser. In the first batch I used D-47, and in the second batch I used EC-1118. These should be done in a month or so and I'll post the results here. I'm fermenting these at ~62 F.

Well, time and life got away from me. These are still sitting in the primaries and I plan to hopefully bottle these this weekend. Will post results here.

I finally got off my ass and decanted a portion of one of these into a glass for a taste test. This is the EC-1118 version that I tried out tonight. I only poured off this glass-full, and then re-bunged the jug. Hopefully the remaining mead will still be good when I get around to bottling it.

cranberry-cyser-57982.jpg

Anyways, it has a big honey nose to it. Very different than the drier meads I've made in the past. After letting it breathe for 5-10 minutes, it still has quite a bit of sweetness to it, but it's not cloying. Rather, it is somewhat negated by the tartness of the cranberries. Swirling the glass results in some nice legs forming. Overall, this is quite a tasty beverage. I'd be very interested to try this carbonated.

Tried the D-47 version tonight. Definitely sweeter which hides some of the cranberry tartness. This version is too sweet, almost cloying. Of the two, I prefer the EC-1118 and would not make the D-47 again. Though I might try carbing the remaining portion of the D-47 batch to see how that changes the character. The carbonation should negate some of the sweetness and might make this more interesting.

image-2026111570.jpg

you made two 1/2gall batches?? so just double up if making a whole gallon..
What was your FG? And think i should use both yeasts? or just stick with the EC 1118

you made two 1/2gall batches?? so just double up if making a whole gallon..
What was your FG? And think i should use both yeasts? or just stick with the EC 1118

Personally, I think you should stick with the EC-1118.

Back