Beersmith Partial Mash Setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I have the new Beersmith and I am trying to set up my equipment. I am trying to enter my partial mash setup. It continues to say that I need -2.23 gal of sparge water. I've spent the past 3 hours trying to figure it out.

Partial Mash.png

est pre-boil vol = 7.13gals

mash tun size = 5 gals

don't know if it matters if you're fly-sparging, but maybe take off checkmark for "drain mash tun"

Did you create that mash profile? I don't have that one in BS. Can you select the first radio box under batch sparging? I think what's happening is that it appears that the volume is adding to the Mash volume an the Tun isn't big enough. Just as a test, change your mash tun in the equipment profile to 10Gal and see if the negative number goes away

I actually figured out the problem last night.

Yes this is my own personal setup, none of Beersmith's matched my setup setup. I also created the mash since I was having this problem.

The problem I had was that in the equipment I entered int "8.00 gallons of kettle top off" by accident. I thought it meant the total volume of the kettle. Once I changed that input, it gave me the correct volume for sparging.

Now I got it set up correctly. I am in the process right now of running a 60 minute boil to try an dial in my evaporation rate so that I can get exactly 5.50 gallons in my fermenter.

I am equating .50 gallons lost to trub and bottle bucket. Is that an accurate estimate? Too high?

Depends on how far into the trub you like to transfer. If you're like me, I'd rather run my volume a little over and leave the trub in the fermenter. Personally I like to leave that in the fermenter. leaves me with a clearer beer and less clean up to my kegs.

Back