am I crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So...my husband is about to start brewing and I have a lot of wild ideas. I'm super creative and artistic so he has put me in charge of labels and names. Well I also want some say in flavors. I thought about....wait for it! ...a candied inspired line!
Chocolate covered cherry, Carmel apple (probably as a cider), chocolate covered peanuts, etcetera. So honestly, sound stupid or not obtainable or pure genius?
:)

brewmasterswife said:
So...my husband is about to start brewing and I have a lot of wild ideas. I'm super creative and artistic so he has put me in charge of labels and names. Well I also want some say in flavors. I thought about....wait for it! ...a candied inspired line!
Chocolate covered cherry, Carmel apple (probably as a cider), chocolate covered peanuts, etcetera. So honestly, sound stupid or not obtainable or pure genius?

Chocolate covered cherry sounds pretty easy to figure out (at least to swag, it will definitely take some tuning). Chocolate covered peanuts might be a little harder, but likely doable.

I have found that it actually isn't too hard to find some recipes. If you have a LHBS, hit them up for ideas. You can also do some googling. Good luck and post your recipes when you have them perfected. (Also, this site is pretty good about making suggestions of you need to figure out how to add a flavor or enhance certain characteristics.)

There are plenty of outrageous ideas being shared around this site, and yours are among the more conventional. I think I recall someone was going to make a meat pie beer, or maybe it was a mushroom soup beer, but anyway, let your creativity flow. You can always try one-gallon test batches so you don't commit a big amount of money to something that is less than stellar.

Here's a crazy one for you. How about Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish Beer? Any one tried pipe tobacco beer? That sounds tremendously deranging.

My recommendation is to let him brew a few batches and learn the craft at least a little bit before you start trying this stuff out. It's easy to get excited, easy to make beer, but hard to make GOOD BEER and even harder to make GREAT beer.

Yes, you are crazy... Does that help?

But we like crazy... Especially crazy that likes to enjoy this great hobby with us, and help us come up with particularly insane ideas for new brews.

Welcome

My recommendation is to let him brew a few batches and learn the craft at least a little bit before you start trying this stuff out. It's easy to get excited, easy to make beer, but hard to make GOOD BEER and even harder to make GREAT beer.

This......

Learn the basics THEN when you understand what you're doing, especially what ingredients go best with each other...how to create a recipe, THEN start messing around. But I think it's a good idea to have a handle on things first.

You could get lucky and have a good "experimental beer" but you should do a small batch,because if you (he) doesnt know some basic things that are needed for a good beer,then it may not turn out as exicting as it sounds. I did an experimental pumpkin on my 3rd batch, did my first 3 beers turn out great? Not really,at first. I actually really liked my last pumpkin bottle I had a year later-it took a while to become good. What I know now- compared to what I could have done then-is a pretty big difference. I spent months learning things before even beginning brewing also, a few simple things is all it took to overlook what I didnt know then, that could have made a difference. Did I make beer? Yes. Could I have made it better? Hell yes!

I just brewed what amounts to a dark chocolate and raspberry Belgian porter. Anything is possible, and probably tried already.

Have you posted this recipe or is it still in the experimental stages. I like the sounds of it.

I think Midwestsupplies sells a chocolate cover peanut kit.

So...my husband is about to start brewing and I have a lot of wild ideas. I'm super creative and artistic so he has put me in charge of labels and names.

Have you seen the label forum? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/ A great place to share your labels and see what others are doing.

And welcome to HBT and the world of homebrewing!

Aside from this forum and books like Designing Great Beers, you should also check out podcasts on The Brewing Network. In particular, listen to "the Jamil Show" and "Brew Strong." They have shows talking about fruit beers, but most of their shows have nuggets of useful information that would apply to most brewing endeavors.

With that in mind, one way that they recommend creating a fruit beer is to get the base beer right first. If you want to make a chocolate cherry porter, brew a porter with chocolate malt. Do this before brewing a beer with cocoa nibs. After that, you can brew the beer with nibs and compare them.

Once you've got your chocolate porter, you can experiment with the fruit. Add juice to a finished beer until you can smell the cherry. Scale that up to 5 gallons. Generally, you can expect to use 2 lbs of fruit per gallon. Fruit beers are expensive.

Yes you're crazy. Welcome to the loony bin! Seriously, browse through the recipes forum and you'll find just about every strange beer/cider/mead recipe you can imagine. If you really want to get wild, talk to CreamyGoodness about okra mead...

Back