Coffee Type for my Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DandyBrewer

Reaction score
I am brewing a porter next week and I wan't to modify the recipe into a coffee porter. I plan on putting the coffee grounds into the secondary. Does anybody have any experience with this? Any pitfalls I should know about? My main question is which variety of coffee to use? There's a pretty big difference in flavor between different regions. Is there a better one to use than another?

I'd recommend low-ish acidity, good full body. If you want a medium roast, buy high quality. If you prefer dark roast, you can use the cheap stuff.

I've done several coffee beers (stouts and porters)...I add coarsely ground coffee to the secondary, in a muslin bag, and it works great...Careful that you don't leave it on the grounds for too long. It only takes a couple of days before the coffee flavor overwhelms the beer...as for type of coffee I usually use my father's homeroasted sumatra beans.

Try to buy decent coffee. The last batch I added coffee to I used whatever Costco beans were already in the cupboard. The amount of coffee flavor was just right, but my friend's comment on the flavor profile was "What kind of coffee did you use, Folgers? The coffee tastes kind of 'pedestrian'."

For my first attempt at a coffee porter, I cold brewed the coffee. It created a distinctive coffee taste, but wasn't overwhelming.

@ Passion: How much cold brew did you add?

For the OP I would actually aim for a dark italian roast with a full to heavy body. The extra body can help a lot with mouth feel, and most Italian roast tend to have a very small dark chocolate flavor which should go nicely with a porter. Just finished brewing a porter today that's going to get coffee and chai once it goes to secondary.

Use whatever coffeee that you've found that YOU really like. Personally, I tend to use Black Cat Espresso beans from Intelligentsia, because its one of my favorite coffees.

@ Passion: How much cold brew did you add?

Only about 8 ounces of beans per five gallons, so it was a little bit less when brewed. It didn't look like much, but added to my secondary, it worked.

Use whatever coffeee that you've found that YOU really like. Personally, I tend to use Black Cat Espresso beans from Intelligentsia, because its one of my favorite coffees.

Great choice on beans from Intelligentsia, that's one of my favorite coffee roasters.

Back