Activator packs? already active???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I special ordered a wyeast pack of sake yeast from my lhbs. I hae never used one of these activator "smack packs" before so I am not sure but, I think it is already activated? It is slightly swelled I think (again do not know what it should feel like) or at least somewhat full of liquid. I cannot feel any packet to squeeze inside there.

If it is already active, not knowing how long it has been so, will it still be viable? It's manufacture date is Dec. 5 2006.

I am good to go with my next sake batch, everything is ready. Hate to have to wait for another order. Also piss me off to have spent $7.50 on a dud :mad:

Anybody got any suggestions?

well, sake brewing is a little different than beer. A starter called Shubo is part of the whole process already. Unfortunately it requires some of the koji rice and some steamed rice which requires some time/work to make. I guess if it doesn't go it is not much koji and rice, just time spent prepping.

Alright. I'll just see what happens. Maybe I should place a back up order right now just in case.

Looks like I will be moving up production time... starting NOW!

Thanks.

One more quick question. It was cold when I got it, should I keep it cold until I am ready, or warm? I will probably start the Shubo-moto tomorrow a.m.

Warm place? Cold? room temp? Mash temp will be 70°F initially.

...and no, I could not feel any bubble in there.

I purchased a Wyeast Flying Dog Ale yeast smack pack from our LHBS.

It was "inflated" too... but the guys at the LHBS said Wyeast told them they'd apparently closed the packs before they had cooled complete, which is why it looked swollen.

We used it in our Bells clone with no problem. Just cut it open and poured it in.

The pack that you smack is actually yeast nutrient, so when I pitched the yeast, I just included some of my own nutrient.

Aha!

Well, no problems then. I guess I thought the packet had the yeast and the nutrient/activator was outside.
Yeah, for the shubo-moto I use yeast nutrient, lactic acid, epsom salt, and salt substitute, so, nutrients are all there.

I thought that pack was where the yeast reside as well, but the guys at my LHBS told me other wise, and I believe them. :)

good luck! :D

Back