Keezer Collar Critique....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
... say that 5 times fast! Here's my nice looking (from a distance) keezer build (in progress):

2010-09-19_20-21-04_523.jpg

Nice, eh? Well, I went with a 1"x6" inside collar that sits flush with the outside wall of the Holiday 7.0 cu/ft. That is wrapped on 3 sides with a 1"x8" collar. The pieces are fairly flush at the top edge, but the 8" height piece drops below the edge of the freezer. So with the addition of the back piece, the now singular collar sits securely on the freezer.

2010-09-19_20-21-23_725.jpg

What has me worried is that there are some gaps between the two collars. They are screwed together, but the wood is warpy (how does anyone find unwarped wood???) and I've been reading about wood not being very insulative (although I thought it was pretty insulative [is insulative a word?])

Anyway...... I have 3" shanks on the way... So adding insulation inside is not a real option since the thickness of the two pieces is already 1.5"....

I do plan on adding weather stripping on the top of the collar and on the freezer edge under the collar. And I am going to caulk the corners. I wasn't planning on staining it (this is a stopgap keezer until I finish the basement in ~2 years) but I've been reading bad things about mold and condensation....

Guess I just need a list of things that I NEED to do to this, or some reassurance to RDWFYK (finish your keezer).

Thanks! :fro:

Where can you find un-warped wood? Not at a big box store, that's for sure. Lumber yards are usually better.

I think I've read on here somewhere that 1" of wood has an r-value of 1. So it's not too good. But the air gap between the two collars will actually increase your r-value, so I wouldn't worry about the air gap. I wouldn't worry too much about insulation, I'd be more concerned about an air-tight lid. That will help prevent moisture from getting in.

If you don't want to stain it, a couple coats of polyurethane will help protect the wood from moisture/mold.

Looks like a great start, nice work.

edit - I happen to have 3 stainless, 1/4" bore, 4 1/8" shanks from micromatic that I didn't use for my project, I'd cut you a good deal on them, you might be able to insulate with that length...

Good info there, whoneedsabeer, and thanks for the offer. Will keep that in mind. Might just poly the wood and keep it looking natural. Then we'll see... If it's running all the time and there's a lot of condensation, I may be calling on you.

Last night, I laid some weather stripping across the top where the lid will sit... Bought some silicone for the corners, but will do that after the poly.

2010-09-22_06-31-45_450.jpg

Also added a strip between the freezer and the collar (grey stripe):

2010-09-22_06-32-04_890.jpg

Finally, put it on wheels last night... Four locking swivel casters mounted on butcher block that was leftover from my old bar. Some of the old with the new. Northern Brewer package should be delivered today so I can finish this off!

2010-09-22_07-18-40_625.jpg

Back