one vessel brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheese

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to show you my new setup, It's a one vessel electric brewing system.

There are actually two vessels
Main tank is a 40 Liter electric water Urn with a hole drilled at the bottom.
Grain tank is a 18 Liter plastic bucket with the bottom cut off.

The concept requires two perforated sheets, a bowl shaped one at the bottom and a flat one at the top both are stainless.

It is basically a no sparge system so mashing is done with full water volume. The grain bucket placed inside the main tank, the bowl shaped screen is covering the element, while wort is pumped from the side of the main tank to the bottom of the grain bucket and spills from the top to the main tank.

after one hour or so, the grain bucket is drained and removed and boiling starts as usual.

The urn's electric element is controlled through ranco controller; the probe is placed in the pump's outlet.

That's about it.

Royi, Israel

Royi, that looks very interesting. Would you explain some more how this works for mashing your grain? I'm not quite getting the concept.

Ok, that's pretty sweet! A nice, compact design. Probably very easy to use.

Thanks, It's very easy to use but has it's limitations.
I dont think i can get more then 75-80% efficiency.
the 18 Liter bucket can hold up to 10 lb of grain.

Royi, that looks very interesting. Would you explain some more how this works for mashing your grain? I'm not quite getting the concept.

first of all, I forgot to mention that the bucket it pressed to to urn's bottom by the middle bar you can see in the first photo, so wort can't pass from one tank to the other.
While mashing the wort is pumped to the bottom of the bucket and the only way it can flow is up, through the malt and than back to the main tank.

I'll upload a video of the mashing process later today.

few upgrades

bottom draining (on the right) and pump inlet port (left)
%5C%5CMGMTSRV%5CDOWNLOADS%5CDP24251%5C13092010526.jpg

thermometer and sight glass
%5C%5CMGMTSRV%5CDOWNLOADS%5CDP24251%5C13092010534.jpg

new circulation pump (march ac-3-md), installed permanently and the bottom
%5C%5CMGMTSRV%5CDOWNLOADS%5CDP24251%5C13092010531.jpg

currently it is not temperature controlled.
thinking of using this card or arduino(brewtroller) for controlling the pump and heating element

Hello everyone. I am trying to build a similar brewing system myself. Actually what I am trying to do is convert an electric kettle of 30 litres capacity into a brewing machine similar to a Braumeister.

I'd like to know what kind of pump should I use. I don't know the amount of water the pump should be able to pump per hour. I want to do 20 liter batches.

Can you please help me with that? my pump knowledge is very limited,

Thanks,
Al

Hello everyone. I am trying to build a similar brewing system myself. Actually what I am trying to do is convert an electric kettle of 30 litres capacity into a brewing machine similar to a Braumeister.

I'd like to know what kind of pump should I use. I don't know the amount of water the pump should be able to pump per hour. I want to do 20 liter batches.

Can you please help me with that? my pump knowledge is very limited,

Thanks,
Al

first of all, 30 liter is a bit small for 20 liter batches. you'll need at least 35 liter vessel.
25 liter of wort, pre boil
+-5 kg of malt + same amount of absorbed water

about the pump, as long as you have good seal between the two vessels, march 809 or equivalent should be fine.

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

un22072011653.jpg

un30082011666.jpg

This is how it looks now,
I've replaced the circulation tubing from silicone to copper and placed it underneath the floor of the Urn.
A 3 way valve and 2 * 10 plates chillers was added, so I can circulate through the chillers while cooling and directly while mashing.
Also, as you can see in the last, most updated, photos drilled a hole at the cover for the return port.

Back