Nano Jockey Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewslut

Reaction score
Threw this together for a camping trip I have coming up,3 gallon cornie for beer in then out to cobra tap. simple,small and fast to build!
jaysbrewingstuff001.jpg

jaysbrewingstuff002.jpg

jaysbrewingstuff003.jpg

Could be the worlds smallest jockey box!!

I was thinking of doing this but running my beer line through the copper. Is this possible or would it be just the same to put the coil of hose in ice and not worry about the copper coil.

Mitch:
Copper is not going to help the tubing. If the tube is thin walled it might get it cold but stainless steel is the way to go for thermal conductivity + not being copper. May as well just put the keg in ice water if you can't do the jockey box with the right materials.

It's also been argued that the short amount of time the beer is passing through the copper negates the concerns. I don't have the facts on it, but want to throw it out there as something worth looking into before dropping the coin on the SS coil.

It's also been argued that the short amount of time the beer is passing through the copper negates the concerns. I don't have the facts on it, but want to throw it out there as something worth looking into before dropping the coin on the SS coil.

Yeah, I'm no metallurgist, but that's my understanding also. The beer passing through the copper for the brief time is minimal. I guess it could be argued that some beer could sit in the coil between pours, but I don't think it would be a concern for a one-time-only serving for a party.

I've seen a lot of talk lately about beer going through copper lines. The last I read was that the carbonic acid creates a protective layer/patina when it reacts with the copper. This shields the copper from further degradation and protects the beer from contamination/off-flavors as well.

The gist of it was that it was OK to drink beer after it had passed through the copper.

That was my understanding at least.

I'd definitely do a little more research before you scrap the tiny jockey. That thing is sweet!

Back