Best Test Batch Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a series of test batches, either 2L or 1 gal, just to familiarize myself with the way that different hops interact with one another.

What kinds of vessels should I consider for fermenters? I've got thin plastic distilled water jugs (1 gal) and I can get plastic 2L bottles easily enough. I'd love to get the glass jug from a gallon o' Gallo, but there's no way I could choke down enough crappy wine to get enough bottles in a decent amount of time. Maybe I should host a bottom shelf wine theme party... dress as a hobo, drink for free :p

Anyone have experience with this? What was successful? What should I avoid?

Dunno. I experiment 5 gallons at a time. If the batch is undrinkable I usually just invite "friends" over to help me drink it.

I have made a few 3 gallon batches (in a normal 5 gallon carboy) and I have a 1 gallon batch of mead going right now (that one is in a 1 gallon jug that I picked up from AHS as a blow off container.)

Buy 5 gallons of apple juice in glass jugs from the local upscale organic grocery store.

Make apfelwein with the juice. Ferment test batches in the jugs.

Latest posts

Back