To be an IPA or to be an IIPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey_James

Reaction score
Here is the question I brewed a high end IPA but reading and what the calculator gave me was more of and IIPA. Here is what I used and please tell me where you think it should fall.

.25 lb of Melanoidin malt
.5 lb of victory malt
1 lb of carapils
1lb of munch
1 lb of corn sugar
3 lbs of Extralight DME
7 lbs of Extralight LME
2 pkgs of Nottingham yeast
2.5 oz of Chinook (@13%) for 60 min
1 oz of Chinook (@13%) for 20 min
1 oz of Cascade (@6.5%) for 20 min
1 oz of Chinook (@13%) for 5 min
1 oz of Cascade (@6.5%) for 5 min
Ferment @ 67 for 1 week.
Transfer into secondary and dry hop with
2 oz of Chinook (@13%)
2 oz of Cascade (@6.5%)

My target OG was 1.086 but measured OG was 1.079 and 1.010 When I transferred. I also aging with 2 oz of toasted french oak to give it a little vanilla flavor. And by all means, if you like the recipe please use it freely.

Corey

I would classify this as an IPA.

Can I ask why you used melanoidin and munich? These are malts that need to be mashed to see any benefits from them. Actually, the recipe would probably be better without either of them and the vienna. Just my opinion though, I don't want to insult your recipe if it's something you were going for.

I would classify this as an IPA.

Can I ask why you used melanoidin and munich? These are malts that need to be mashed to see any benefits from them. Actually, the recipe would probably be better without either of them and the vienna. Just my opinion though, I don't want to insult your recipe if it's something you were going for.

I like the taste of Munich and I used the Melanoidin for a little bit of red color. I usually do a bit of PM with most of my specialty grains also.

I would take this as a double because of the large abv and it seems that your IBU's are outside of "IPA" range. But they are all ales anyway.

My calculator called out about 150 IBU's, but it didn't taste that bitter. It really had some bite, but now it is just soaking on 4 oz of hops and 2 oz of oak. It was really tasty when I transferred.

Back