Pepsi Throwback. Anyone try it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett

Reaction score
I was in the grocery store today and saw an old-school looking box of Pepsi soda. Turns out it's this limited time offering of Pepsi made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

I picked some up and wow it tastes so much better than regular Pepsi.

Anyone else hear/try this? I know a lot of people sing the praises of real sugar cola/soda...

http://www.bevreview.com/2010/01/01/pepsi-throwback-december-2009-rerelease/

I thought I saw an old-school Pepsi logo on a bottle at the store a few days ago. I figured it was just promotional packaging, like those 6 oz Coke bottles you see now and then. I didn't realize it was Pepsi "Classic."

I think I need to stock up. Thanks!

Dave

pepsi throwback is great, so was the mountain dew.......it taste so much better with the real sugar, instead of the fructose. to bad it cant be found around my area any more. it was a limited edition. anytime a local store had this it flew off the shelves.

I haven't tried it, but I am a big fan of Mexican Coke, and Pepsi, that can be found at mexican grocery stores and even some upscale markets. The NEVER replaced cane sugar with corn syrup. And it is just as amazing as the stuff I grew up drinking.

In fact my understanding is that Pepsi throwback or whatever the heck they are calling it is really just a response/attempt to keep people from smuggling the mexican stuff into the US and selling it.

Because there is a HUGE "underground" of Mexican pepsi/coke fans.

You can read some articles about mexican coke and it's following here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11fob-consumed-t.html?_r=1

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041109/news_1b9mexcoke.html

http://www2.eluniversal.com.mx/pls/impreso/noticia.html?id_nota=6728&tabla=miami

They mention pepsi throwback in the nytimes article.

I'm just waiting for the time when they bring back Crystal Pepsi... oh the sweet nectar of the gods and the soundtrack by Van Halen...

Initially, I thought that this would be a very limited thing.
now...
I'm thinking it is a test market for a summer release.
Cane sugar prices may be low enough for the drink companies to consider going back to it's use in the US market.

Mexican Coke is BIG here in the East Bay. Hell, I can get India Coke at Food Maxx.
Pepsi may be trying to grab some of that market share.

Initially, I thought that this would be a very limited thing.
now...
I'm thinking it is a test market for a summer release.
Cane sugar prices may be low enough for the drink companies to consider going back to it's use in the US market.

Mexican Coke is BIG here in the East Bay. Hell, I can get India Coke at Food Maxx.
Pepsi may be trying to grab some of that market share.

Test?, we in Ohio had Pepsi/Mt. Dew cane sugar products all summer long. I even recall picking a pepsi this spring in Harrisburgh Pa. while traveling. I do agree this stuff is "Great"!

Test?, we in Ohio had Pepsi/Mt. Dew cane sugar products all summer long. I even recall picking a pepsi this spring in Harrisburgh Pa. while traveling. I do agree this stuff is "Great"!

I just started seeing it a couple of weeks ago around here.
There may be a rollout schedule in place.
Test in one region, if it is working -- expand to another.

again, I may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time :)

I have a few 12ers of the throwback Mountain Dew, I love the taste with real sugar, I hope that this sticks around for a while!

I just started seeing it a couple of weeks ago around here.
There may be a rollout schedule in place.
Test in one region, if it is working -- expand to another.

again, I may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time :)

It was in was kind of stealthy marketing. The cans looked the same in color (blue) but had Pepsi in the old script, then it had throwback vertically on one side of the can. And just like that in August they were gone.

we can get mexican coke down here just about anywhere. (personally I prefer Columbian. ;)) it tastes better; less acidic perhaps? I dunno. I don't really drink soda enough to actually pin point the differences. but if I have the choice down here I'll always take the mexican coke when I want a soda.

The only soda I drink is Mexican Coke. I buy it at Sam's for cheap. Delicious! Doesn't have that overpowering syrup taste. I've tried Dr. Pepper with sugar, better than normal.

The only soda I drink is Mexican Coke. I buy it at Sam's for cheap. Delicious! Doesn't have that overpowering syrup taste. I've tried Dr. Pepper with sugar, better than normal.

if Sam's and Wally World are carrying it, wouldn't that be a real motivator for Pepsico to market a competing product?

I could see a marketing campaign.... Pepsi Throwback -vs- Coke Classic ( with it's corn syrup sweetening ). Real taste? Choose Pepsi.

I have a mexican restaurant down the street from me, and they sell mexican Pepsi (in glass bottles to boot), which is what Pepsi Thowback is. I'll usually order that to drink when I eat there.

I could swear there is a difference between the blue released earlier and this one. The other once was sweeter and had less salt taste.

Start looking at the ingredients of Coke and Pepsi right around Passover. Coke puts yellow caps on theirs, no idea about Pepsi. These "Kosher for Passover" sodas temporarily replace the corn syrup with cane sugar. Look for them in places with larger Jewish populations. But stock up, they only produce limited quantities for a very brief time.

Around here we get all the sodas with sugar around Jewish Holidays since it's kosher.

I tried the cane sugar version of Coke in St. Lucia and nearly **** myself... It was sooo much better than I had ever had before. I always look out for the kosher version of Coke during passover, but I can;t stand Pepsi, so I haven't tried the Throwback.

Might be worth trying. HFCS and my GI do not get along. I haven't had anything except diet sodas for years.

Just tried the Pepsi throwback and realized that I must have had soda with real sugar overseas somewhere. I always thought the soda overseas was just "Different." Why the hell did they start using this corn syrup crap anyway?

HFCS is much cheaper than sugar. We have some of the highest sugar prices (33/pound vs 12 in Europe) in the world: price supports, tariffs and import quotas work.

Only because corn is subsidized and sugar has tariffs? Could be wrong on that.

No, you're correct, at least on the part about corn being subsidized. I don't know about sugar - I assume most cane sugar is imported so there's likely a tariff on it. Agricultural policy is really, really weird.

I got a 12 pack of the mountain dew version for only $3 and it is WAAAAAY better with sugar than HFCS (not that I'm surprised by that).

I got a 12 pack of the mountain dew version for only $3 and it is WAAAAAY better with sugar than HFCS (not that I'm surprised by that).

Yeah, the last throwback go-around, the mountain dew wasn't well received. I'd heard they tweaked the formula for this time.

I would not mind trying some Coke with sugar. My wife likes regular Mountain Dew better, but the kids and everyone else I know prefer the throwback. We just got throwback dew yesterday. I'm having one right now. I'm not particular either way, personally. I don't drink enough of that stuff to really care. The throwback instantly reminds me of my youth though. Green Glass bottles from the pop machine downtown.

After reading this thread I had to go out and buy some. I got the last two 12 packs in the store! mmmmm.... real sugar..... I'm going to be buying some every time I go to the store until it's gone.

i got an 18 pack of the TB pepsi. I like it a lot. it's not as sugary, or something. I mean it's sweet but not uber-sweet.

I liked the throwback Dr. Pepper while most of my co-workers did not

Latest posts

Back