Pick up tube woes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
Well I am new to this board. I am having some problems... My kettle pick up tubes are just not cutting it... My HLT is fine I have a strait shot down to the bottom of my Keggle and drains with about maybe 4 cups of water left in it...

But my BK... HOLY CRAP!! almost 1.5 gallons left in it...

I have this kind of set up... except its a Keggle not a pot...
kettle.jpg

It seems like there is a leak somewhere...

I am running all 1/2 ID copper pipe to a weldless fitting that is not leaking at all...

I read in a previous post about clamping the tube or something so that it creates more suction? Is this how its supposed to be done?

Any help would be much appriciated... I want to get a trial run in on my new System this weekend...

Wow, 1.5 gallons using a pickup tube? It just craps out on you? How much higher is the pot your draining versus the vessel its going into?

Are you using a hose on the output of the drain? If not, the flow will stop when it reaches the bulkhead level. Even so, running to the corner like that in a keg has to leave at least a gallon behind because that's how much the recess in the center holds. Actually, it's closer to 3/4 gallon.

I'm running a March pump with pretty stiff lines... Bobby same disconnects as you btw... your video and posts were extremely helpful!

I am wondering if I clamp down on the copper pick up tube, will that create more suction?

Are the copper pipe and elbow sweated together or just pushed on. That could be a leak source if they are not sweated. I'm not clear on what you mean by clamping down on the pick up tube. Where would you put a clamp?

I noticed that the end of the pickup tube appears to be flattened. A flattened end might easily get clogged with trub/hop debris. It's not really necessary to flatten it at all. I run my pickup tube to the center of the keggle bottom and seldom leave behind more than a pint or so of wort if that. I don't see a big advantage in having it lay along the side up hight as shown in the pic.

Back