Starting a HERMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frothy3001

Reaction score
Hello Fellow brewers. Im about to start my first HERMS build. It will be a single tier. I need to buy a pump. Is there a march pump that is better than others, i see march pumps with different codes behind it, which one is best to buy. Also I allready own a 20 gallon blichmann brewpot, 15.5 gallon keg and a 13.2 gallon keg. I have a false floor for my brew pot so i was going to use it for the mash tun. I was thinking of converting the 13.2 gallon into a HLT and using the 15.5 gallon as a brew pot. Would this setup be the best way to do a HERMS? Im using gas for heat as well. Thanks for the advice in advance.

I would use the 20 gallon for a BK, the Euro keg for your MT and the Sanke keg as the HLT. If you generally brew heavy beers then maybe switch MT & HLT. I would place your heat exchanger coil in the HLT for HERMS. The largest vessel being the BK allows for you to brew larger batches and yor false bottom will come in handy for whole leaf hops. You could boil a 15 gallon batch in that 20 gallon kettle but not in a 15.5 gallon Sanke. My sytem is a HERMS with Euro kegs and may give you some ideas. I like the larger diameter of the Euro kegs for the MLT, this gives you more surface area on your false bottom and shallower grain bed. Just my opinion. Good luck with your build.

i would like to do 15 gallons worth so i will definitely use the 20 gallon brewpot for my boil. Im thinking the Sanke keg for the mash. Euro keg for the HLT. Just cut the lids off last night. Going to buy some copper pipe this weekend. Ill have to get another false floor for the sanke Keg. I have 2 burners, a blichmann and a turkey burner. I was going to use the turkey burner for the HLT. I might buy a new burner if its not up to raising temps fast enough. Blichmann will go under the boil and nothing under the mash. I always see 3 burners on single tier systems, but from what i understand, i shouldnt need one under the mash if im doing a herms. Am i right on this?

i would like to do 15 gallons worth so i will definitely use the 20 gallon brewpot for my boil. Im thinking the Sanke keg for the mash. Euro keg for the HLT. Just cut the lids off last night. Going to buy some copper pipe this weekend. Ill have to get another false floor for the sanke Keg. I have 2 burners, a blichmann and a turkey burner. I was going to use the turkey burner for the HLT. I might buy a new burner if its not up to raising temps fast enough. Blichmann will go under the boil and nothing under the mash. I always see 3 burners on single tier systems, but from what i understand, i shouldnt need one under the mash if im doing a herms. Am i right on this?

On my Turkey Fryer I upgraded to a 0-20 psi regulator and a Green Acme nut. That now provides plenty of fire...can easily rolling boil any volume in my keggle now.

im going to use the turkey fryer for the HLT, wont need to get to a rolling with it, but close. ill look into the regulator. I was also investigating going electric for the HLT tank, but im concerned that it will take longer to bring up to the different temps. Is this a misconseption on my part or a valid concern. Was looking at the setups with the 5500 watt with a pid. Gas just seems like it would get me to temp quicker tho.

well, its been a while. Ive had a bunch of busy months and now finally had some time to start back on the build. Update - Ive ordered all my parts and they are on route as we speak. I live in Canada, but as the prices are so much cheaper in the states, i bought all my parts there. You can set up a free brokerage box just over the border so i dont get fees at the border, just pay HST instead of paying UPS obscene brokerage fee.

One great purchase was a stainless steel coil for inside the HLT. I thought the price was right at 80 bucks for 50' 1/2inch coil with 2 90' bends.

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/-12-Coiled-to-customers-request-035-304304L-Coiled-Tubing_p_30.html

Also i decided on getting a chugger ss pump, instead of a march pump. Cheaper and stainless manifold.

A lot of my other parts i ordered thru Bargainfittings.com

Ill be using my 13.2 gallon keg as an HLT, and the 15.5 gallon sanke as my mash. I have a 20 gallon brew pot.

Ill post my shopping list soon, and ill start posting pics as i get the parts in.

getting things together. Stand is nearly built and HLT and Mash are nearly complete.

2013_06_06_17_30_03_ProShot.jpg

2013_06_06_17_30_14_ProShot.jpg

2013_06_06_19_02_02_ProShot.jpg

2013_06_06_19_07_24_ProShot.jpg

2013_06_06_19_04_21_ProShot.jpg

Back