Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I know of. The best deal is the group buys over in jersey. Get on it quick though, it fills fast!!!

There's a rumor spreading that those are getting shut down by Country Malt. I just got enough to last me a while, but I'm always planning ahead.

Do any of the HBSs in the area sell base malts in bulk at a discount?

Describe "bulk" and "discount" more thoroughly....

I'm hoping to build a mill cart next week and start buying grain in sacs.

I got a new fermentor...

9aa6ac0e89c311e2bdc622000a1fb844_7.jpg

It's about 20 gallons give or take a few. Welded 1/2" threaded port near the bottom. It's pretty sweet and will be my new fermenting vessel for 10+ gallon batches. I can't even say what I paid for it. The price would make everybody real angry...

One of those olive oil cans, right?

No idea. One of the guys that works with me had a small winery operation and he's retiring so he sold a ton of gear. I got barrel racks, barrels, fermenting can, and a bunch of other stuff.

50 lb sacks for near-wholesale prices. Like I said, I like the group buy, but if that gets shut down I want to know the next best thing.

Most of the LHBS like Barry's (now Philly Homebrew) sell by the sack, its usually ~$70/bag depending on the variety of course. Not as cheap as those bulk buys but still a discount.

Weak knee in Pottstown (my LHBS) sells sacks for $45 to $55. Briess, MO, and Weyermann 2 row and Pale ale. I get Weyermann pale ale for $46 a 55lb sack. I think Keystone in Montgomeryville is about the same pricing. $70 a sack seems a little high.

Weak knee in Pottstown (my LHBS) sells sacks for $45 to $55. Briess, MO, and Weyermann 2 row and Pale ale. I get Weyermann pale ale for $46 a 55lb sack. I think Keystone in Montgomeryville is about the same pricing. $70 a sack seems a little high.

I don't believe keystone is anywhere near that. I believe they are in the 60-70 range. If they were in the 45 range, I'd have no problem buying it there.

Well, it was $70 for a bag of Pilsner. Not sure the price of other base malts.

If those are the walk in prices in Pottstown I would actually make the drive all the way out there and load up every so often. Those prices are comparable to the group buy prices.

I figured I would add one more Papermill Rd brewer here. We have a brew happy road. I just finished my 3000 watt 110 volt ebiab kettle and hope to try her this weekend.

If anyone lives downtown, and doesn't have a big place, Home Sweet Homebrew has a decent deal. I think they call it "virtual sacks". Basically, you buy a sack, but only take home whatever you need. Then you can come back and get more, until you've depleted your "sack".

No idea what the prices are like, but a few of my co-workers live in small apartments downtown and seem to like this option.

Yes.....the Pottstown store is a walk in price. Nice people there too. It's not as big as Keystone(not many are), but they have a very good selection. They owners make a ton of wine, so they are not SUPER beer knowledgable, but they know enough. It's worth the trip just to read the sign in front of their grain bins.

Hurray! I had some parts laying around so I threw together another kegorator for a nitro setup... Chocolate Thunder Porter now pouring...

74b22c7e8de411e28b9a22000a1f9d42_7.jpg

Hurray! I had some parts laying around so I threw together another kegorator for a nitro setup... Chocolate Thunder Porter now pouring...

74b22c7e8de411e28b9a22000a1f9d42_7.jpg

Hey....that name's takin (see my signature):D But you need to put this pic on your tap.

Tunder.jpg

you get your nitro tap pouring correctly? If so, I may need you to check out what the hell I'm doing wrong with mine!

you get your nitro tap pouring correctly? If so, I may need you to check out what the hell I'm doing wrong with mine!

Not yet. I think the line I put in is too long (10'). Also I'm having trouble with the mini fridge I used. I need to grab a temp control from work. I'll figure it out.

Is there anyone brewing in Jenkintown Pa that could provide any info on water provided by the township? The water report appears to be lacking information. Any tips on what you are doing on your process would also be helpful. I am in the process of setting up an all grain process.
Thanks!!

naver said:
Is there anyone brewing in Jenkintown Pa that could provide any info on water provided by the township? The water report appears to be lacking information. Any tips on what you are doing on your process would also be helpful. I am in the process of setting up an all grain process.
Thanks!!

I'd like to piggy back this request for the Plymouth Township area. I'm going to send a sample to Ward Labs soon unless someone already has the information. Thanks!

i do not have a specific water report. I do know that the water is pretty good though. Chris at the former GLI, used the tap water and just added some gypsum.

I'm in Jenkintown, and I got a report more than a year ago, and I think chloride was the highest ion. You have to ask for the aesthetic standards to get the ion info. To follow the Primer, I dilute 2-3:1 RO to tap and add back CaCl and sometimes gypsum depending on style. That may be unnecessary, but I've been doing it all along since I didn't want to screw anything up once I started AG.

If anyone would like to stop by, the GLUB Club will be having a group brew day on 4/13 at my place. We will be brewing our beers for the NHC Club night that day. I will most likely have the smoker going. If you're interested in joinging the club, or would like to brew yourself, feel free to stop by (or get in touch ahead of time). All are welcome.

Just a follow up. I'll have some pulled pork going in the smoker. We'll have at this time at least 6, if not more, brewers. Again, all are welcome. PM for an address.

So who took advantage of the beautiful weather this weekend? What did you brew? I had to re-brew a saison for a friends wedding. Hopefully it will be done in time. The first batch, I tried to (unsucessfully) save some ECY saision yeast. Needless to say I now have 10 gal of a soured sasion. It's tasty, but it's 10 gal worth...

I threw together a quick batch of bitter and Drizzt tried out the new BIAB build on some Black IPA while he was smoking a turkey. Turned out to be a good Sunday.

I took advantage of the weather by running the Philadelphia Zombie Run on Sunday at FDR park. I also brewed a batch of cascade orange pale ale on Saturday and bottled a saison on Sunday.

So what have people been up to lately? Last weekend I brewed quite a bit, 5 gal of a cream ale (for FIL's 70th birthday present), 10 gal of a hefe for said party, and 10 gal of house pale ale. A BUSY saturday to say the least! Looking to brew an alt and a dipa this weekend as well. First I have to see if I have free fermentors!

Man, that's a heck of a lot of brewing, I'm jealous. With a 13 month old and a pregnant wife, brewing has been put on hold for me. Might try some late night brewing one of these nights...

Stoppin at Weaknee tomorrow for a couple things for BM's Cream of three crops.

Me and a buddy wrecked ourselves pretty good the other night on my high grav stuff, so i decided I need something a little more "session" for those "lets stop back at my place for one more" kinda nights.

My wife and his girlfriend were not happy.:drunk:

mildoggy, that is a sweet setup! I would love to not have to brew outside during the winter. Does it stay pretty cool down there during the summer too?

Brewing again today, 10 gal of a hopslamish clone, and 10 gal of a belgian IPA. And helping a buddy brew his second beer!

mildoggy, that is a sweet setup! I would love to not have to brew outside during the winter. Does it stay pretty cool down there during the summer too?

Brewing again today, 10 gal of a hopslamish clone, and 10 gal of a belgian IPA. And helping a buddy brew his second beer!

Will find out, but the vent will circ a lot of air, so it should be nice and cool

Great news my SWMBO just told me to get off my lazy butt and brew beer. When have a double birthday party in 8 weeks. Any suggestions on brews to catering to all tastes. My biggest hit so far was a simple citra pale ale.

Back