grain in a bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Silly question. Mr brew session for tonight is not going to happen. All of my grains for my recipe are in my grain bucket (an old 1 step sanitizer bucket). How long will they last in there? they are not cracked...I am heading out of town tomorrow, but have intentions of brewing when I get back next week.

Do you have a cover for it that will hermetically seal? That would be ideal, but it's only for a week so I'm sure you're fine.

I've went almost a month, still in the brown paper bag from the LHBS. Putting them in the fridge or freezer would be ideal, as to keep the weevils away :)

Uncracked grains will last a very long time (year(s)). The better sealed the longer. Bugs and small animals are probably a bigger danger long term than rot assuming they are kept dry. A week is definitely not a problem. I store a lot of grain crushed for months at a time (well there is a lot of turn over).

Back