WTF is up with Taylor Swift?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO wanted to watch the countdown so we turned on the TV just in time to see Taylor Swift perform two songs in a row. I used to like her when she first came out, then not so much, but ever since "We Are Never Getting Back Together" was released I've despised her. That and the other one (I don't remember the name 'cause I don't care) are just plain awful.

This performance was especially awful if for no other reason than the fact that she performed live the part of the studio recording that was accidentally recorded while she was taking a phone call. Am I alone in feeling like this or am I just being an a**hole?

I thought he was talking about Taylor Swift? When did country get brought into the thread?

I still agree that one of her ex's should write a song titled "Maybe the problem is you"

I believe sarcasm was intended by the use of the quotes around the word "country." She started out country but an resemblance to country in her music is long gone.

taylor swift is not nor ever was Country. Lets not dilute this genera any more. yes, tons of people STILL love country, tho we have tons more the think country is something similar to taylor swift. . for what ever reason, i hate her (tho would love to see her naked)...never mind. my thoughts are going a-stray

I never could stand her. When she came out she sounded like a little kid singing songs written by a little kid. Not even a talented little kid.
There isn't anything country about her or 99 percent of the crap that comes out as country today. Mostly adult pop music with a little bit of teeny bopper crap like Taylor Swift thrown in.

She's like watching your kid perform on stage... America's sweetheart, gotta root for the poor gal, she's doing her best and succeeding.

She might be doing well for herself, but that doesn't change the fact that she is horrible. Her success is built on being cute. Her audience is a bunch of kids.

It's fine that this crap exists and it's no skin off my nose, but I do wish that I would never have to hear it again.
I do also wish that country stations would play country music instead of this adult pop junk.

Chris Ledoux, George Jones, Ray Scott, George Strait. Not Taylor Swift, kid rock, hootie and the blowfish, keith urban and so on.

SWMBO wanted to watch the countdown so we turned on the TV just in time to see Taylor Swift perform two songs in a row. I used to like her when she first came out, then not so much, but ever since "We Are Never Getting Back Together" was released I've despised her. That and the other one (I don't remember the name 'cause I don't care) are just plain awful.

This performance was especially awful if for no other reason than the fact that she performed live the part of the studio recording that was accidentally recorded while she was taking a phone call. Am I alone in feeling like this or am I just being an a**hole?

The trick is to just look at her; if you actually listen, it ruins the whole effect. ;)
Regards, GF.

I never could stand her. When she came out she sounded like a little kid singing songs written by a little kid. Not even a talented little kid.
There isn't anything country about her or 99 percent of the crap that comes out as country today. Mostly adult pop music with a little bit of teeny bopper crap like Taylor Swift thrown in.
When she first hit the airwaves, singing songs about 'love', I thought, "Honey, you're 17. You have no idea what you're talking about".

Then the girl I was dating at the time bought her CD, and one song in particular I noticed a line was different between the CD and the radio edit that showcased her immaturity (and that of the entire production staff), and that pretty well finished it for me.

We watched it too. Here is how the conversation went...
Me: "Who is that?"
Her: "Taylor Swift"
Me: "Who? Never heard of him."
Her: "It is a she and she is pretty famous."
Me: "I am going to brush my teeth. Let me know when the countdown starts."

She might be doing well for herself, but that doesn't change the fact that she is horrible. Her success is built on being cute. Her audience is a bunch of kids.

It's fine that this crap exists and it's no skin off my nose, but I do wish that I would never have to hear it again.
I do also wish that country stations would play country music instead of this adult pop junk.

Chris Ledoux, George Jones, Ray Scott, George Strait. Not Taylor Swift, kid rock, hootie and the blowfish, keith urban and so on.

Heck yes and a big thumbs up on your music choice. I still use that line from Chris Ledoux in the song Copenhagen " Makes conception a wonder and childbirth a pleasure" Yup that is my beer:mug:

We're pretty lucky here in Milwaukee because our college station does a Friday show where they play awesome, awesome old REAL country music. Check out the archive. http://www.wmse.org/archive/?dow=Fri&hour=090

(Skip ahead a minute or two - the archive shows start with a minute or two of the previous show.)

I have always found TS annoying. My SWMBO and oldest daughter were enamored with her when she went mainstream a few years back. She lost her charm in their eyes when she started dating everyone under the sun.

It seems ****ry music (i'm dropping the O because it's lost it's balls) is going through it's yacht rock phase in my eyes.

I've had a theory that for about the past 5 or 10 years country is nothing more than mid-90's alt rock with a twang. Seriously, go listen to Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, or Hootie and the Blowfish and tell me I'm wrong. I dare you!

I've had a theory that for about the past 5 or 10 years country is nothing more than mid-90's alt rock with a twang. Seriously, go listen to Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, or Hootie and the Blowfish and tell me I'm wrong. I dare you!
Points of information:

Glen Philips, the lead singer of Toad the Wet Sprocket, in the early 2000's went on tour with a up-and-coming "Newgrass" bluegrass band called Nickel Creek. Recorded a couple songs together and all.

And, Darius Rucker, frontman for Hootie and the Blowfish, now has a successful solo country music career. When asked about the change in an interview, he stated that from the start, him and his band WANTED to have more of a country sound, but they were a cover band at a time when Dave Matthews Band was what people wanted to hear, so that's what they played.

So hoping I embedded this video right, but what genre would this be considered? I just started listening to this guy, and I tend to like his music a lot more than the crap you find on the country radio stations about wal-mart, dancing on tractors, or high school baby momma drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
phenry, thanks for the video. I've never heard of the guy but like it. To me it's a blue-grass Hank cross.

Yes Miss Swift sucks as far as the genre is concerned, but she's catchy. Ever hear that 'one day I'll be living in a big old city' song? It'll be in your head for hours, and that's what seems to get radio time.
Country as a whole isn't the same as the 1960s-70's, and that's okay with me (having not lived in either of those decades, but enjoying the music). It's more of what used to be called Southern Rock with a few bad apples (Jason Aldean, for instance). Kyle

I thought he was talking about Taylor Swift? When did country get brought into the thread?

I still agree that one of her ex's should write a song titled "Maybe the problem is you"

I laughed so hard at this part! That is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHyBQTqbVE

So hoping I embedded this video right, but what genre would this be considered? I just started listening to this guy, and I tend to like his music a lot more than the crap you find on the country radio stations about wal-mart, dancing on tractors, or high school baby momma drama.

I call it noise pollution

I don't follow celeb gossip, but this was too funny not to share.

Taylor Swift should bust Into the delivery room when Kardashian and Kanye West are having their baby and announce "I'm happy for you and imma let you finish, but Beyonce had the cutest baby of all time. Of all time."

Taylor Swift should bust Into the delivery room when Kardashian and Kanye West are having their baby and announce "I'm happy for you and imma let you finish, but Beyonce had the cutest baby of all time. Of all time."

That would be SNL GOLD RIGHT THERE!

Yes Miss Swift sucks as far as the genre is concerned, but she's catchy. Ever hear that 'one day I'll be living in a big old city' song? It'll be in your head for hours, and that's what seems to get radio time.
Country as a whole isn't the same as the 1960s-70's, and that's okay with me (having not lived in either of those decades, but enjoying the music). It's more of what used to be called Southern Rock with a few bad apples (Jason Aldean, for instance). Kyle

It's like that stupid Call Me Maybe song. It get's in your head and gets stuck in there for days. Taylor Swift can sing but her lyrics really suck. But so do most pop lyrics.

Radio also sucks. Every station plays a different 25 song playlist over and over. You'll hear the same song atleast 3 times in an 8 hour period on any given station.

Only if Kanye doesn't beat her to it.

I love taylor swift. I could listen to her albums all day, even the girly songs. My favorite song on the new album is "trouble" its got a little dubstep to it. Awsome

I love taylor swift. I could listen to her albums all day, even the girly songs. My favorite song on the new album is "trouble" its got a little dubstep to it. Awsome

I'm not a country fan nor a TS fan, but I thought it was funny when my girlfriend bought the album and I thought the album version was written for some dub to be added. Sure enough, all the TV performances she's done include it. And that is how you know she's pop and not country (if you didn't figure that out five years ago).

But she is obviously a big freak.

I'd hit her with a stick. And I'm too lazy to quote the person who asked Wtf was up with her speaking the words during the song on New Years Eve, but I forgot to mention that I hate that she did that for 3 reasons. 1. It was something that often is done in music videos but not recordings or perfornances. 2. It shouldn't have been done for the recording or performance. 3. She seemed to either forget how to say her line or didn't know how to interact with the people on stage and it looked really, really stupid. I don't normally bash on singers or bands but I really hated that.

She's wayyyy too skinny and lanky, no curves. Just long arms and legs like a spider-monkey.

Women like that make me think of that line in Men in Black where Will Smith says, "Man, I feel like I'm gonna break this damn thing."

Back