Help with Brewtroller setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
Folks,
I am starting my brewtroller build (today) and want to be sure that I have what I need and set it up correctly. I feel there is very limited docs out there in regards to a 4.0 setup.

My goal: A single vessel with 1 - 5500-watt element powered by the brewtroller 4.0.

I bought one SSR (for now) and saw a schematic from someone else on the web using 2-SSR's. What is the point of that? I thought I could wire this up like a PID system and need just 1-SSR.

I am not gong to install bypass switches, pumps, nor volume sensors at this time. I am basically using the Brewtroller vs. a PID with plans to expand in the future.

For now, I just need a simple wiring diagram for connecting the element to the brewtroller.

Thanks for ANY help.

http://www.oscsys.com/sites/default/files/BrewTroller 4.x User Manual.pdf

Sorry for pointing you to the manual but I can't quickly draw anything up for you at the moment... Check out Page 9 for the basis of connecting an SSR to the brewtroller.

With a 240V element both legs will be "HOT" with respect to neutral/ground. An SSR will only be switching one leg of this, so even with the SSR off, there will still be power present at the element. Some people use a 2nd SSR on this other leg to switch off, or a contactor to remove power from the element. IMHO it is not required, but you need to be aware of it. If you only use 1 SSR you may want to make sure you turn off or unplug power to the element when doing any work/cleaning around it. Also there is the fear that SSR can fail in the closed state, which can happen in my experience but again as long as you are aware of the risk...

Just to Be sure that I am tracking okay:

I am going to wire in this method (Starting from the box just so I can clarify):
-40-AMP GFCI - 2 pole 240vac breaker
to:
-Range Outlet
to
-Wiring to my control box
-which will have 1 of the hot wires connect direct to one side of the heating element (4500 watt)
-the OTHER hot wire will be on one side of the 40amp SSR -
-the SSR will be connected to the other leg of the element

-the ground wire will be connected back all the way to the box/outlet/cable/control panel/and then finally directly screwed to a ground lug on the keg.

**I am using brewtroller which will turn the SSR on.

I suppose the only confusion is that I will have 110VAC on constantly with the element (one side of the element??). I take it that the element, since it does not have a neutral connected to the terminal, will not have any reaction due to an incomplete circuit?

This will work, but as previously stated, if the SSR fails it will fail closed which will allow power to flow through the SSR regardless of the SSR control function (it will look like it's working when it is not). As a safety measure, you should have a contactor either upstream or downstream from the SSR which can be used to ensure there is no power flowing when the unit is on.

It's a cheap insurance policy.

Back