My "EdWort's Apfelwein"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Recipe Type: EdWort's Apfelwein
Yeast: Red Star Premier Cuvée
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.072
Current Gravity: 0.998
Color: Champagne
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Currently 21 days at 68 degrees

Ingredients
6 gallons local grown and pressed apple cider
2.4 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar)
1 five gram packet of Red Star Premier Cuvée yeast

Started batch on 11/12/11. Started fermenting within 8 hours. Was bubbling along at one point about 2 times per second. almost all bubbling has currently stopped, maybe once a minute. There is about 1 inch of pinkish lees at the bottom of the carboy. I am planning on letting this just sit until Christmas, then bottle.

This sound about right so far?

If my math is right, this is 9.86% alcohol, based on the formula:

% Alcohol = (((1.05 x (OG – FG)) / FG) / 0.79) x 100

So, Day 40 of my Apfelwein.

Still getting very slow activity in the airlock. Reading of 0.998, hasn't changed in 3 weeks. Lees are thick on the bottom of the carboy. I'd like to let this sit in the carboy for awhile, but I don't want the yeastcake to have adverse effects on the Apfelwein.

I will have a 5 gallon carboy available for use soon, should I rack to secondary, or just let it sit?

I think your ok at 40 days but if it makes you feel safer, rack it off. I go up to 60 days now with cider.

Any updates here? Guy at the local brew store highly recommended cuvee so I bought one couvee and one Montrachet and I'm really curious how this turned out!

I've made batches with both cuvee AMD montrachet. Cuvee came out a little bit sharp with little aroma. Montrachet a little dull but lots of tingles went down my spine when giving it its first sniff. Both are quite impressive

Not really. You're going to agree them for a while after they complete anyway. The cuvee probably ate through the sugars a day quicker but I wasn't watching super close anyway.

Back