brew pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
well here's the dumb question of the night. I just bought a new brew pot a 10 gallon brew rite polar ware. now it does not have a sight glass and no markings for gauging capacity. My question is this short of buying and installing a sight glass or marking the pot with a permanent marker (outside) is there any other product that I could use to gauge capacity I want to do 6.5 gallon boils and need to have accuracy as not to mess up my effeciancy in the end. Thanks for any input.

What I have done is mark my big brew spoon with every gallon height. You could use some form of ruler marked at every gallon, whatever happens to be convenient.

How about pour it into your fermenting bucket, it has lines on it marking 1-5 gallons, then once you have you 6 1/2 gals then pour it back into the polar pot and there ya go!

If you are looking for an instument to do this I am at a loss but this is what I used to do when I began.

Best of luck!

What I have done is mark my big brew spoon with every gallon height. You could use some form of ruler marked at every gallon, whatever happens to be convenient.

+1 I marked up the plastic paddle thingy that came with my first Brewer's Best starter kit up to 8 gallons. I marked every 1 gallon and anything in between I eyeball, this is beer makin' not rocket science. :rockin:

excellent ideas!!!! I really like the paddle idea I have one from when I first started doing extract and I now use a ss paddle but the "plastic" one I could def notch in gallon increments. Thanks for the responses.

I use a dowel rod (stick) and notched it up. I had sightglasses but I got rid of them because they were a pain.

I use a tape measure. My pot is 10 gallons and 15 inches tall.

1 gallon ~= 1.5 inches.

sophisticated gear required... A stick. Pour a measured gallon of water in your pot, stick the stick in, and mark the water line. put another gallon in, repeat.

I was actually thinking about getting a weldless sight glass from bobby m . Only issue I have is I'm not confident about drilling my brew pot, not that I'm completely incompitent with a diy project though at the same time I have reservations with putting a hole in a $200 kettle.

well here's the dumb question of the night. I just bought a new brew pot a 10 gallon brew rite polar ware. now it does not have a sight glass and no markings for gauging capacity. My question is this short of buying and installing a sight glass or marking the pot with a permanent marker (outside) is there any other product that I could use to gauge capacity I want to do 6.5 gallon boils and need to have accuracy as not to mess up my effeciancy in the end. Thanks for any input.

Easy, get a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe and using 1/2 gallon bottles of water make a "dip stick". What could be easier?

I was actually thinking about getting a weldless sight glass from bobby m . Only issue I have is I'm not confident about drilling my brew pot, not that I'm completely incompitent with a diy project though at the same time I have reservations with putting a hole in a $200 kettle.

Don't fear the drill. Get yourself a quality step bit, mark the pot and start drilling. Every step stop and fit the sight glass. I was apprehensive as well but with Bobby's kits it was a piece of cake. 2 keggles and a pot drilled!

Back