American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yoop. Looking for a good house APA and this looks like it will fit the bill. I have plugged in the recipe from Page 1 and adjusted for my system and the current AAs on the Cascades at my LHBS. Have you made any significant changes to the original? I did a quick scan through the other pages and did not see a new version of the recipe posted here anywhere.

I won't answer for Yooper but since I made this my House ale I'll tell you what I did.

I swapped out the 60 minute 1 oz Cascade addition with .75 oz of a more aggressive bittering hop like Columbus or some Hercules if you can find it. (17.7%)

I love this beer. Every time.

Thanks Bend. I was going to tinker with the hops a bit myself. I was mainly looking for some guidance on the grain bill and whether anybody has changed that appreciably

I won't answer for Yooper but since I made this my House ale I'll tell you what I did.

I swapped out the 60 minute 1 oz Cascade addition with .75 oz of a more aggressive bittering hop like Columbus or some Hercules if you can find it. (17.7%)

I love this beer. Every time.

This is a great beer, I'm on the last few sixes of my first batch. However, I'm going to move in the opposite direction. Much as I love Cascades, my batch is much more IPA than PA, and I'll either drop the last ounce added or the dry hop.

I need to move north. Last year was the second year for my cascade bines. What the heat didn't get, the grasshoppers did

I just bottled and it even flat tastes pretty darn good. Great recipe!

This was only my third brew ever and I only have the equipment for 1gallon batches, but this recipe seemed pretty straightforward. My only concern was how dark the wort was, especially since my boil was a little vigorous and left some residue on the bottom of the pot where the burner were. My only prior experiences have been with lighter color beers. Dry hopping with pellets directly in the carboy wasn't a big deal... I ended up using a fine kitchen strained to scoop whatever leaves had made it into my pot with the pricing sugar before bottling.

So the verdict... very pleased. I'll probably end up making this recipe again when I finish getting all my gear for 5gallon batches.

I have had this in the keg a couple weeks with the Hop Ball in it. The bitterness is mellowing a bit but it really hits you on the back of the tongue. I think I boiled my first hop addition too long.

I just bottled this one up this afternoon. It really cleared nicely. This is only my 4th batch and second all grain BIAB. This one racked to the bottling bucket as clear as an extract version of EdWorts Pale ale after 6 weeks in the bottles. It tasted fantastic. 3 weeks can't come soon enough.

I'm gonna try to brew this up today, only difference is my Cascade pellets came in and are 6.0%AA, I might go look for a stronger bittering hop at the LHBS and I'm going to ferment with WLP008 East Coast Ale...never used this yeast before, interested to see how it goes.

I've brewed this twice and both times it was awesome. I had the time on the second batch to let it sit in the primary for almost a month and then in secondary for two weeks. I feel this batch was better than the first. Great recipe, Yoop!

Havent touched this beer in about a week. The Hops is really starting to come through and the bitterness is mellowing nicely (think it was just a bit green still on earlier posts) So if anyone decides to over hop this and make it an IPA, its fine :)

I've got the ingredients on order. I'll be using Wyeast 1450 (Denny's), I'll let you know how it works but I have great expectations.

I just served this at Easter lunch today for the whole extended family... praises all around. I agree.

I made a 10 gal version of this yesterday. I didn't have Vienna so I adjusted the Munich and Pale Malt a bit, a little different beer but I'm sure it'll be good. My electric RIMS held 154F perfectly and got 1.060 wort. Its fermenting away as we speak!

I made a 10 gal version of this yesterday. I didn't have Vienna so I adjusted the Munich and Pale Malt a bit, a little different beer but I'm sure it'll be good. My electric RIMS held 154F perfectly and got 1.060 wort. Its fermenting away as we speak!

We're out of this beer! I'm going to brew it in the next couple of weeks to have it on tap this summer since we love it so much.

I have 5 gallons that I will be transferring to secondary and dry hopping this weekend. How long do you dry hop this one? I usually do 1-2 weeks on IPA's.

nyer - I typically go 7-10 days dry hopping this recipe. I've done it 3 times (4th in primary right now) and have loved every one. Cheers!

My first batch of this beer turned out great....as a pretty bitter IPA, not as a Pale Ale. I'm going to do another batch sometime in the next few weeks, and cut out some of the hops. Much as I like Cascades.....a bit too much.

Are others getting a FG of 1.010? I'm at 1.016 and I think thats about right for S-05.

Are others getting a FG of 1.010? I'm at 1.016 and I think thats about right for S-05.

You're in the FG range I've got for this recipe in my computer: 1.010 - 1.018. If I'm in the range when I check (usually at 3 weeks), it gets bottled.

I'm going to brew this one soon and I'm wondering if the S-05 is absolutely necessary?

I have some White Labs California Ale V WLP051 and some Wyeast 1272. Will either of these work? I'm also going to have some Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes soon but I doubt that one will work for an APA.

I brewed up a batch of this about 4 weeks ago and kegged it last night. It'll be a little mucky at the start (pulled a lot of dry hop particles through the siphon and into the keg), but the sample I got out of the siphon line at the end of the process tasted pretty damn good.

Thanks, Yoop.

I brewed up a batch of this about 4 weeks ago and kegged it last night. It'll be a little mucky at the start (pulled a lot of dry hop particles through the siphon and into the keg), but the sample I got out of the siphon line at the end of the process tasted pretty damn good.

Thanks, Yoop.

I'm glad you like it! We try to have it on tap most of the time. I'm going to make a 10 gallon batch next time!

I will be doing this again this weekend so it is kegged and ready for my 40th B day bash. I and everyone else i know really likes this beer

Just put the blowoff on a 5 gallon batch. A beautiful color and the hydro sample tasted great! Can't wait to keg and sip on this one. Thank you, ms. Yooper!

You said this drinks well young, but how young is too young?

Like lots of others, I have an event which popped up a bit too soon for comfort. I'm hoping to get from grain to glass in 18 days. However, some things to help it out...I will be doing a pressure ferment which will eliminate the need to force carb and hopefully create a cleaner profile. I'd really like to make a pale ale, but maybe I should stick to something lighter..

Will the dry-hop help for 1 week at cold temperatures? Or should I try a hop tea?

Back