5L Flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
I'm using my new 5l Erlenmeyer flask for the first time tonight. I went 5L so I can make some big starters for lagers, high-grav brews, etc. As I was boiling it, it dawned on me: this thing looks like what a cartoon scientist would use. I mean, it's really silly looking. It's bigger than my head!

I'll post a pic when it's cooled down and on the stir plate.

Anyone else have one of these beasts?

Ok, here's a pic. That's a 6.5g carboy (full of fresh-from-the-orchard cider), and a "true" pint glass (20oz, room for a pint and a head).

IMG_20110310_214720.jpg

Isn't this thing ridiculous?

:D

I have a 6L Pyrex Erlenmeyer sitting on top of my kitchen cabinet, with some kind of plant growing in it. My mother had it as a terrarium for 20 years before she gave it to me 10 years ago. That plant just continues to grow....never added water or more soil or anything. All it needs is sunlight.

As for the obvious question, I don't use starters a whole lot. If I'm doing something like the barleywine I did last Fall, I just use yeast washed from the cake of a previous beer. Worked like a charm, so far.

That is pretty comical looking. I thought my 2L flask was on the large side, but in the realm of plausibility but that 5L definitely makes mine look more normal.

Haha....I have two 5L flasks for lagers, big beers etc......My brew days are always two a day so it made sense for me to have two. I use 50mm stir bars in it which is what I use in my 2L flasks as well but i'm able to get a nice vortex in both.

Where did you get it and did you have to cut off your arm for payment?

Got it at Northern Brewer. $45: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/yeast-handling/5000-ml-erlenmeyer-flask.html

Why does this thread remind me of this... No idea. (No I don't have gout).

:D LOL! That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.

Oh, and I use a 50mm stirbar, but I'm sure the 25mm would work. It's not the size of the bar that counts, it's how you spin it. ;)

I had a 5L flask until the first time I tried using it on my stove. It immediately cracked so instead of a big flask I'll just use a bunch of 2L flasks. You can buy three decent 2L for what you pay for one lab quality 5L in many cases at least. Its cheaper for me to build another stirplate than buy that big piece of glass.

Back