Chimay Premiere (Red)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purebloom

Reaction score
So, last night I decided to splurge and purchase a bottle of Chimay Premiere. It's a Belgian Trappist Ale. It cost me $11.00 for a 25.4 oz bottle... which seemed a bit ridiculous, but a friend of mine has really talked this beer up... so I gave it a shot. It really was hands down the best beer I have had... although I'll admit that even though I have sampled quite a variety I know there is still a very long list of beers I have yet to have as well.

Anyway, I wondered what others thought of this beer. I took a picture of it to cherish/remember my first Chimay consumption.

chimay.jpg

There was a liquour store in Aberdeen, MD that I used to go to whenever I was in that neighborhood just to buy their Chimay. Back then it was $8/bottle. I used to get the red, blue and gold labels. Great beers one and all.:D

I have to say I like the Grand reserve a lot better, but the red is good. I still have yet to try the white label one.

Think of it this way: if you were a wine drinker, you'd probably describe a good-tasting bottle (same size as the Chimay) that costs $11.00 as a "bargain wine."

I have only tried the Blue. I liked it very much but it gave both SWMBO and I a headache.

Some breweries to try:

Ommegang
Unibroue

You should be able to get large bottles of their offerings for several dollars less than the ones from Belgium.

cweston said:
Think of it this way: if you were a wine drinker, you'd probably describe a good-tasting bottle (same size as the Chimay) that costs $11.00 as a "bargain wine."

I used that same rationale to talk myself into spending $17 bucks on a bottle of Fantome this past weekend because I have wanted to try some of their product for a while. :fro:

If I ever get my hands on a bottle of Rochefort X, that is exactly the logic I intend to use. I just can't seem to find it anywhere! I've even gone to two restaurants that had it on the menu and both of them were out of it! :confused:

Rochefort is a little hard to come by lately. The Importer ran out and as far as I know hasn't gotten any more yet.

The 10 is great but I find the 8 to be just as flavorful and more drinkable. Either way I suggest getting any trappists you can. They are all good and in my mind all are better than Chimay, and thats saying something. Orval is a little odd if you haven't had any beer with brett in it but is spectacular if you give it a chance. :mug:

I bought up all the Rochefort i could, heard a rummer that they are not going to import to Texas any more. I love that stuff. The flavor is amazing.

Back