Ran out of caps before all bottles were capped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just got done bottling 52 bottles and found out I don't have enough bottle caps for all of them :mad: The LHBS opens tomorrow at 10:00. Any suggestions on what to do with the bottles without caps until then?

I just got done bottling 52 bottles and found out I don't have enough bottle caps for all of them :mad: The LHBS opens tomorrow at 10:00. Any suggestions on what to do with the bottles without caps until then?

How many don't have caps?

Saran wrap tightly around the top with rubber band and place them in the fridge to keep the yeast from starting to carb them before they are capped.

Or drink them now.

+1 on refrigerating them to put the yeast to sleep. Get xaps first thing tomorrow, cap 'em, warm 'em up and then give each one a little roll to resuspend any yeast that settled out.

saran wrap with extra wrap, plunge saran wrap down with a pencil to just above level of beer and tie off with rubber band or tape. refrigerate as close as you can get to 33 degF.

If you have soda in (or empty, with caps) PET bottles (such as 2 liter), you can bottle in those. Hint: don't use root beer bottles!

Thanks everybody, you saved me! I put cling wrap around them, pushed some into the bottle, taped them and put them in the fridge. I ended up with 11 that did not have caps. I knew HBTers would have the answer!

In the future, try to collect some grolsch-type flip-top bottles. I have some and don't usually like to use them, but if you run out of caps you just have to grab a few of those, sanitize 'em and fill 'em up. Good as an emergency measure.

In the future, try to collect some grolsch-type flip-top bottles. I have some and don't usually like to use them, but if you run out of caps you just have to grab a few of those, sanitize 'em and fill 'em up. Good as an emergency measure.

Alternatively, keep an extra bag of caps around. They're only $3-4 for 150 or so; whenever you open your last bag, buy another. Cheaper and takes less space than amassing swing-tops.

I also keep a few swing-tops around basically for taking some beers to a party or whatever; they're like little growlers. Fill a few off the keg and drink that day.

growlers are awesome. i have a several and find them all very useful. they beat the hell out of dragging kegs around everywhere. they travel well in milk crates too.

In a pinch you could also put it in 2-liter bottles. I haven't done this personally, but I know others who have.

Back