Dogfish Head Red & White

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Just picked this up on a whim from the local beer joint. Looks interesting, and at any rate the bottle is really sweet. Beer Advocate seems to give it generally favorable reviews. For those that have tried it, what do you think?

I've seen it at the grocery store. I've almost pulled the trigger a few times, but its a little expensive. My girlfriend is coming up this weekend, so maybe I'll pick it up for us. Lucky me, I turned her into a beer drinker!

It is an ok beer. I think the rating on BA is a little skewed. There are a lot of DFH fanboys who mark their beers higher simple because of who they are.

To me, it is a B at best. It is like a big wit beer, and not much more. I can appreciate what they were attempting, but it isn't something I'd buy more than once.

Ah, oh well. At least I have the nifty bottle. And plus, a friend bought it for me because of a favor done in the past, so no buyer's remorse to go around -- at least not on my end.

Ah, oh well. At least I have the nifty bottle. And plus, a friend bought it for me because of a favor done in the past, so no buyer's remorse to go around -- at least not on my end.

And you might like it more than I did. It was certainly an interesting beer. I had a better opinion of it than I do of 60 and 90 minute, but I think those are two of the most overrated beers ever. They're just not THAT good for the hype. i feel the same way about much of what comes out of Lost Abbey in San Diego. I just don't get it, I guess.

Is this the one that's brewed with pureed raspberries? I was contemplating picking one of those up the other day...or is it another one?

Is this the one that's brewed with pureed raspberries? I was contemplating picking one of those up the other day...or is it another one?

You are thinking of Fort.

I picked up the Red & White a couple weeks ago and have the Fort sitting in my fridge, one of the many birthday beers I will be drinking.

I don't necessarily love all of DFH's beer, but I love what they are doing by pressing the boundaries of what beer is so I end up trying a lot of what they make.

And you might like it more than I did. It was certainly an interesting beer. I had a better opinion of it than I do of 60 and 90 minute, but I think those are two of the most overrated beers ever. They're just not THAT good for the hype. i feel the same way about much of what comes out of Lost Abbey in San Diego. I just don't get it, I guess.

It's funny you should mention that, I'm having a 90 minute at this very moment -- a little night cap. :eek:

Def. my favorite IPA, at least as far as the IPAs that I've tried. In general a very good beer -- in my opinion.

The Red & White at least sounds interesting, for what that's worth. It's a big bottle, so I'm putting it on the back burner for a special occasion -- either that or imma save it for when I have a friend over to split it. Can't imagine burning through that bottle myself on any old random night.

I bought some about a week ago. Been sitting in the back of my fridge but I'm looking forward to opening it very soon....

I think DFH sells their brews a lil on the green side.
My local store shelves all the DFH brews, instead of refrigerating them. And I'm finding I like em a lil better if there's some dust on the bottle. Not that that happens very often.
I bought my 1st 120 this w/e. They limit you to 2 per day, so I sent my GF back for 2 more before they're gone. We drank 2 Saturday am and I'm cellaring the other 2 for 6 mo.
And I am absolutely in love with Theobroma. I'd give up sex (for like a month) if I could get that year round.
I'll keep an eye out for the R&W at my local store.

And I am absolutely in love with Theobroma. I'd give up sex (for like a month) if I could get that year round.
Hmm...interesting statement. Myself, I know it would take, oh, I dont know, DEATH, maybe, to get me to give up sex, for any length of time. :rockin:
Remember, sex is finite, but beer is forever, so, when your 80, sex might just be a memory to ya, but a cold beer will be in your hand while your trying to remember......:D

I'll keep an eye out for the R&W at my local store.

Theobroma out yet? I heard it was due out in the spring, but didn't see it at the store last week.

Yeah, I'm really itching to try the Theobroma after I saw the discovery channel special on beer. Original release was May of '08, so I'm assuming a release sometime this year around that period. I really have to keep my radar up for that one.

Still haven't cracked that Red & White yet...will report back when I do.

I liked the Red and While much better than the Theobroma. The R+W is indeed like a big Belgian wit with just a hint of grape from the pinot juice...

Back