Hennepin Clone (Partial Mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbel dutch

Reaction score
I love Ommegang's Hennepin farmhouse style saison and never pass up the opportunity to order one on draft. Since it's getting warmer I've decided to go with the flow and try to brew something similar to this high-gravity Belgian style beer. I found this clone recipe from The Replicator, but it seems to offer solutions for extract only and all grain brewers. I've graduated to partial mashes but just don't have the equipment or the space for all-grain yet so my question is: what kind of specialty grains can I add to this beer to improve its flavor without altering the recipe too much? TIA!

reprinted from BYO's The Replicator
Brewery Ommegang Hennepin
(5 gallons, extract only)
OG = 1.070 FG = 1.008 IBUs = 24 ABV = 8.0%

Ingredients
6.6 lbs. Muntons light malt extract syrup
0.5 lbs. Muntons light malt extract powder
2 lbs. light candi sugar
6.5 AAU Styrian Golding hops (bittering hop)
(1.25 oz. of 5.25% alpha acid)
1.75 AAU Saaz hops (bittering hop)
(0.5 oz. of 3.5% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
1 oz. dried ginger root
1 oz. bitter orange peel
White Labs WLP550 (Belgian Ale) or Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Abbey) yeast
O.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

I'm a big advocate of not using any speciality grains in saison, other than wheat for body and barley as the base. I like to let the yeast take care of all the flavors and complexity. But if you wanted to brew a maltier saison you could use some Munich malt for a toasty/bready malt flavor, which is perfect for a PM since Munich should be mashed. You could even add a little bit of CaraMunich for caramel sweetness. Take care not to use too many speciality malts because you don't want them to fight the yeast character.
I would highly suggest that you ferment you brew with a saison style strain at a high temperature, you won't get the complex saison profile with any other type of yeast.

Thanks for the advice... Wikipedia mentions that saisons can be fermented up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, this seems kind of high... so maybe I'll wait until it gets even warmer :)

I just kind of got it in my head that PM will yield a much better tasting beer vs. extract only... but I'm starting to think that as long as your recipe is good then your beer will be good as well regardless of whether you use specialty grains.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to use the yeast listed. No idea why they'd tell you to use that kind of yeast in a Saison. You need a Saison yeast for a Saison beer.

Hi- I'm planning on trying this recipe tomorrow and have everything I need except the dried ginger. What kind of store would carry dried ginger? And if necessary, would it work if I substitute fresh ginger root? Thanks!

Back